04/01/07 11:11 AM
04/01/07 11:11 AM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Montana
Bears are where you find them, use your head, and NEVER, EVER, let your gaurd down. These animals are so fast and so unpredictable that you have to always be alert. As soon as you let down your gaurd, you'll be on one in the most unassuming places.

By the way, this is a wild, free ranging, young grizzly, NOT photographed in a national park. . . I never shoot captive animals.

Re: Be Aware of Emerging Bears [Re: Tony Bynum] #7438
04/01/07 01:40 PM
04/01/07 01:40 PM
Salt Lake City, Utah
Marty Everhard Offline
Old hand
Marty Everhard  Offline
Old hand

Salt Lake City, Utah
These pictures are great. I know everyone is liking it. Where are some of the prime places and times for capturing these photos? ( inter mountain regions) I know Yellowstone, Glacier, the Redwoods- but what time in the seasons, particular areas, etc,,,,,,,things that would help someone (like me) actually be in the right place at the right time!

Re: Be Aware of Emerging Bears [Re: Marty Everhard] #7439
04/04/07 11:16 AM
04/04/07 11:16 AM
fl,ak
rustin Offline
Tracker
rustin  Offline
Tracker

fl,ak
Tony,
Great shot. My shot was also of a wild and free ranging bear. NOT photographed in a National Park....I also do not photograph captive animals. Rustin

Re: Be Aware of Emerging Bears [Re: rustin] #7440
04/04/07 11:41 AM
04/04/07 11:41 AM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Montana
Marty, I NEVER direct people on where or when to find bears, especially people I don’t know and have not spent time in the field with. Not because I’m a jerk, although some have said I am, but because it’s not right to tell someone to go to griz country (that includes blacks around here too, because they live in the same places) without knowing what they are doing, how they carry themselves and what are their skills. I don’t quibble over this issue. I do help most anyone that asks about photography in around the Park, but with bears I’m tight lipped, about the only way you ever will find them using my advise is to come along with me, and even then I dont go in seach of grizzly bears. One of my very best friends has been a grizzly bio for 20 years and he still tells me there's no pattern. . .

I will tell you this much, griz den at 7000 feet - mostly in snow drifts and the males, and sows with yearling cubs are first to emerge - right now - followed by sows with young of the year - still a couple weeks out.

NEVER approach a griz, make noise, and if you come upon one, just back out slowly, talk to them, and anticipate their direction but never cut them off and always give them respect. They will tell you if they are mad at you, or are not happy with your being near them.

As for where to find them, in the national parks listed is a good place to start, bears are where you find them otherwise!

Re: Be Aware of Emerging Bears [Re: Tony Bynum] #7441
04/04/07 11:35 PM
04/04/07 11:35 PM
Salt Lake City, Utah
Marty Everhard Offline
Old hand
Marty Everhard  Offline
Old hand

Salt Lake City, Utah
A public forum may not be the best place for " directions to" but it is interesting conversation you must agree. Understood my friend, guess I need a field trip with you one day then. We get some black bear here, but they are few and far between. I have only seen one, I've been here 25 years,and I am in the outdoors lots.(Utah) If I saw a griz, the brownest thing would probably be my shorts anyway. I am sure you understand the fascination. I guarantee this thread is well read. It is not lost on me that the thread started with a beware ............ keep those shots coming though! There are some great shots coming in here......no I won't risk my ass on one though. I'll stick to my friendly sharks for that. As some of you know, my forte is underwater photography, which led me to other natural wildlife and landscape- ( abundant in Utah, but not bear!).
Best wishes to all.

Re: Be Aware of Emerging Bears [Re: Marty Everhard] #7442
04/05/07 09:15 AM
04/05/07 09:15 AM
Eden (no really!)
J
jamesdak Offline
Old hand
jamesdak  Offline
Old hand
J

Eden (no really!)
Well, I've had several bear encounters but not by choice. I used to run into them regular in the mountains as a youth. But, I'm the first to admit that I do not know enough and am not comfortable being around them. Especially if I'm in a National Park, on foot, and without a firearm. In Montana I always carry bear spray but I hope I never find out if I can really get it out and in use in time.

These were from Glacier last summer in the evening. I spotted the bear foraging by the side of the road and stopped to get a few shots. And yes, it did cause the usual "bear jam" with all these idiots out of the cars and walking up on the bear with their little point and shoots. Shot from the car using a 300mm f/4 and 1.4x t-con and a better beamer flash extender.

Re: Be Aware of Emerging Bears [Re: jamesdak] #7443
04/05/07 01:02 PM
04/05/07 01:02 PM
Salt Lake City, Utah
Marty Everhard Offline
Old hand
Marty Everhard  Offline
Old hand

Salt Lake City, Utah
Nice shots. How do you like the beamer, are you using it much?

Re: Be Aware of Emerging Bears [Re: Marty Everhard] #7444
04/10/07 10:50 PM
04/10/07 10:50 PM
Tennessee, USA
RichardR Offline
Journeyman
RichardR  Offline
Journeyman

Tennessee, USA
Some really great bear photos, guys!

The bears were particularly active in the lower elevations of the Smokies this past year due to mast crop failure in the higher regions. Hopefully, the crop will be better this year and they won't be quite so plentiful in the areas people frequent and the areas I like to roam for deer. Like Tony, I don't go looking for bears but they do share the same space sometimes.

I always enjoy seeing the cubs but you must always be aware that mama is nearby. I cannot emphasize enough all the safety warnings and advice that's been posted in this thread already.

This one was coming down a tall tree to join his mama and two siblings.

This mama had three cubs but I couldn't get them all in the same frame with the telephoto.

Always remember they have these:

And these:

Even when they're sleeping in the trees, you always have to be mindful that they will wake up!

A two-year old female. I've seen her and her sister on several occasions. They aren't known to be troublemakers but you never know.

My best advice is to shoot from a car when you can and if not, use a long lens. Being careful isn't enough; you've got to learn all you can about bears but remember, the bears don't read the same books!

Regards,

Dick:)

Every day is a good day.
Re: Be Aware of Emerging Bears [Re: RichardR] #7445
04/10/07 11:26 PM
04/10/07 11:26 PM
Salt Lake City, Utah
Marty Everhard Offline
Old hand
Marty Everhard  Offline
Old hand

Salt Lake City, Utah
Awesome shots. What were you using and at what exif? This thread is great!

Re: Be Aware of Emerging Bears [Re: Marty Everhard] #7446
04/11/07 05:37 AM
04/11/07 05:37 AM
Tennessee, USA
RichardR Offline
Journeyman
RichardR  Offline
Journeyman

Tennessee, USA
Thank you, Marty.

Sorry I forgot to put the data. All were taken with my Nikon D70/70-200VR & most with 1.7x TC. Too late to edit so here's the basic EXIF:

All taken in less than ideal lighting conditions as is the usual case. Shot in RAW; Aperture Priority; Center-Weighted Meter.

#1 Coy Cub: f3.2; 1/160th sec.; 300mm; ISO 400.

#2 Climbing Cub: f6.3; 1/125th sec.; 190mm; ISO 500.

#3 Mama & Cubs: f4; 1/80th sec.; 116mm; ISO 1600.

#4 Bear Teeth: f4.8; 1/320th sec.; 340mm; ISO 800; heavily cropped.

#5 Bear Claws: f6.3; 1/250th sec.; 340mm; ISO 400; also heavily cropped.

#6 Sleeping Bear: f6.3; 1/250th sec.; 270mm; ISO 400

#7 Two Year Old: f.6; 1/200th sec.; 140mm; ISO 1000

Regards,

Dick:)

Every day is a good day.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 405 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright �2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer