B
bob swanson Offline
Tracker
bob swanson  Offline
Tracker
B

virginia beach, virginia, usa
Hello again

first of all I don't think that Rachael is using colored gels. I have in my studio about 20 muslin backgrounds of varied colors and textures.
Next, my radio slaves are made by Quantum and there are other manufacturers. The transmitter slides onto your hotshoe of you camera and will transmit to any number of receivers that are connected to your strobes. They are not "line of sight" and will transmit thru walls. Cable releases attach to most shutter buttons (you might notice a small threaded hole on your shutter button) and come in different lenths so that you don't touch the camera and can stand away from it.
As far as the gels are concerned it could be that you don't have the right density. The more sheets of colored gets you add to the front of your flash, the darker the color becomes of cours that might mean you need to increase your lights intensity some.
By the way, your dog portraits are well done too. Good luck, Bob Swanson

Re: Some studio set up questions [Re: bob swanson] #7757
04/18/07 08:39 AM
04/18/07 08:39 AM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
One of the shots on her site, shows her standing over a couple of kittens. It looks like she puts the puppies and kittens on a very small table right on the material she is using as a background. She does a wonderful job.

I just think you are right that it is close in and I bet she uses very soft light and wide apertures. Whatever she is doing, I like it!

Re: Some studio set up questions [Re: Julie] #7758
04/22/07 01:26 PM
04/22/07 01:26 PM
Washington
D
Dee Dee Offline OP
Veteran
Dee Dee  Offline OP
Veteran
D

Washington
Bob I think you are right it can't be gels that Rachael is using, she probably has a ton of backdrops. That is great you have a studio! I have a studio for my art but no room for a photography studio too. I guess I could use the kitchen, it's big and I rarely use it LOL.

Thanks for the added info. I do have a transmitter (I just don't know the jargon yet ) a cheaper one off eBay that Julie suggested and has worked well so far. I had the threaded hole for a cable in my old film cameras but not my 20D or MKII....Ill check my manuals and see what they say about cables. I'd like to have the freedom to lay down on the floor in front of the dog etc.

AH I would never have thought of stacking gels! I can't wait to try that. Great tip Bob. Thanks. I am going to set up and take photos at a match in May mainly to practice stuff like that.

Julie,Racheal uses a 4 x 5 large format camera with a really shallow DOF. A friend gave me her book 101 Salivations, which is why I got into the studio stuff to begin with. I am copying the following right from her book:

I shot most of the images for this book using a 4 x 5 inch large-format camera, like the old fashioned box with the black cape over the back. I love the images it creates, you can almost reach into the picture and feel the animls fur. The shallow DOF is incredible: it draws you to the dog, especially its eyes. Yet, using the large format camera is probably the most difficult way to capture animals on film. If the dog moves, which they are inclined to do often, and without warning, you have to take the film out and refocus. It's a true game of patience not pointand shoot. But it's what I'm used to working with and what I really enjoy.

That part sounds like a bit of a nightmare doesn't it!

My Web Site www.deedeemurry.com
Re: Some studio set up questions [Re: Dee Dee] #7759
04/23/07 07:13 AM
04/23/07 07:13 AM
B
bob swanson Offline
Tracker
bob swanson  Offline
Tracker
B

Hi Dee Dee

Hope some of the info helps and am glad to offer advice.
As far as 4x5 is concerned I feel that Rachael in not gaining anything except notoriaty and uniqueness. I can't see where that size negative would benefit anyone unless it was going to be enlarged to monumental sizes. I can enlarge to at least 16x20 from my 6.2 megapixel camera. Maybe it started out as a magazine requirement from a long time ago. Good shooting. www.bsvirginian.smugmug.com

Re: Some studio set up questions [Re: bob swanson] #7760
04/26/07 01:41 PM
04/26/07 01:41 PM
Washington
D
Dee Dee Offline OP
Veteran
Dee Dee  Offline OP
Veteran
D

Washington
Bob good point, I think I'd get burnt out on it after a while if it were that hard to get a shot. But boy she sure does get some good ones. She also says in her book that she meets people at the dog park (she has newfies) and invites the photogenic ones to her studio. I am setting up at a match I'm taking my Hallie to, to practice on dogs but it would be nice to have your own studio to bring them to.

Re: Some studio set up questions [Re: Dee Dee] #7761
04/27/07 08:37 AM
04/27/07 08:37 AM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
Just a thought over coffee, really bring down the power of your backdrop light. The less power, the deeper the color of the gel.

Re: Some studio set up questions [Re: Julie] #7762
05/17/07 01:33 PM
05/17/07 01:33 PM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
Hey Dee Dee, I found this on the net and thought of you!

http://home.insight.rr.com/alienbeegels/

Re: Some studio set up questions [Re: Julie] #7763
05/17/07 03:43 PM
05/17/07 03:43 PM
Washington
D
Dee Dee Offline OP
Veteran
Dee Dee  Offline OP
Veteran
D

Washington
Julie that is PERFECT!! That helps a ton thank you so much! I was ready to give up I will try again very cool!

I was just coming here to post to you...the link for the grooming table no longer seems to work. Can you tell me what dimensions it is? Width, height and length? I was wondering if I could make myself an agility pause table...they are usually 36 x 36 (or 35 x 35 shipped). Or if this large grooming table would be better, but it looks like the site is down darn it...do you know another link for it? I did my first "official" shoot at a match last weekend and although it went pretty well I see lots of things that would make it easier on me and having a table for the dogs is one of them.

Thanks!

Re: Some studio set up questions [Re: Dee Dee] #7764
05/17/07 03:55 PM
05/17/07 03:55 PM
Washington
D
Dee Dee Offline OP
Veteran
Dee Dee  Offline OP
Veteran
D

Washington
I really like this pause table
http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID5099961P4...ause-Table.aspx
because it has foldable legs! But it's on 30 x 30. Just using my yardstick it seems even the 35 x 35 tables would be a tight fit if you want to lay a large dog down on one for a photo. I'll be curious to hear how large your grooming table is and if you could easily pose a large dog prone on it?

Re: Some studio set up questions [Re: Dee Dee] #7765
05/17/07 03:56 PM
05/17/07 03:56 PM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
Ahhhh, it isn't working. I believe the dimensions are 2ft tall, 2ft wide and 4ft long. There is no reason you could'nt make yourself.

I think it is a heavy piece of plywood, about an inch or so thick, with a rubber piece on top of it. Then it has folding table legs screwed onto the bottom.

Gee, I should be a builder

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 545 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer