04/25/07 09:14 AM
04/25/07 09:14 AM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Montana
here's s a couple from last weekend, check out the curl on that guy, he's must hide during the rut or just run fast!

shot with nikon 200-400 afs, vr. 14 miles on a bike, 4 miles on foot to get to these guys. 40 lbs on the mountain bike makes the trip a bit more demanding!!! LOL I had bad light, but at least the critters were there when I arrived, or it would have been just a bike/hike for the day!

Attached Files
Re: Couple New Bighorn Shots. . . [Re: Tony Bynum] #8008
04/25/07 10:19 AM
04/25/07 10:19 AM
Portland Oregon
RomanJohnston Offline
Pooh-Bah
RomanJohnston  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Portland Oregon
The first one is amazing.....a great cover shot if I ever saw one.

Roman

Re: Couple New Bighorn Shots. . . [Re: Tony Bynum] #8009
04/25/07 12:46 PM
04/25/07 12:46 PM
Donner Summit, CA
glamson Offline
Veteran
glamson  Offline
Veteran

Donner Summit, CA
Quote:

here's s a couple from last weekend, check out the curl on that guy, he's must hide during the rut or just run fast!

shot with nikon 200-400 afs, vr. 14 miles on a bike, 4 miles on foot to get to these guys. 40 lbs on the mountain bike makes the trip a bit more demanding!!! LOL I had bad light, but at least the critters were there when I arrived, or it would have been just a bike/hike for the day!

Tony,

Great pics of what can be a truly elusive animal. I know you shoot at Glacier and I was wondering if
that's where this was. The reason I ask is that my best experience with big horns was at Glacier
in 1986. My wife and were hiking out the Garden Wall trail to Granite Chalet when we came upon a
group of a dozen Bighorns with another group of 6-8 Mountain Goats. The amazing thing was that when
we sat down to watch them they came to within 10 yards of us (see pick below). The real downer
here was that I had somehow left my film supply in the car and only had the 36 pics in the camera
to take (today I probably would have shot a couple of hundred with my D200). Also it was
overcast and the light was just so-so and I was shooting Kodachrome 64. We spent about 30
minutes thoroughly enjoying this close interaction and I still look back on it fondly. I've
yet to get back to Glacier, but it's high on my list of places to get back to. Thanks for
rekindling that experience with your pics. Here are a couple of scanned slides from that
adventure (unfortunately the scanning doesn't do the images justice).

Re: Couple New Bighorn Shots. . . [Re: glamson] #8010
04/25/07 12:58 PM
04/25/07 12:58 PM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Montana
Ah yes, mid to late august, that's a great location to find BH. Those two shots were in glacier park too, but very little of the Park is open so I rode my bike past the gates as far as I could them hiked the rest of the way. I seldom go to logan to find them anymore.

Of late, over the last two/three years, the sheep have not been as dependable as they once were around logan. They seem to move around a lot.

As for how close you can get, youre right, if you get in a position to "intercept" their movement and sit still they soon will ignore you. However, this is not always a good thing as once they ignore you, they also tend to keep their heads in the dirt, so to speek, sleep, or, they put their butts to you.

Dull, overcast light is the BEST for BH's. I would give up 10 days if shooting them in the sun, for one day shooting them in overcast. . .

Re: Couple New Bighorn Shots. . . [Re: Tony Bynum] #8011
04/25/07 05:44 PM
04/25/07 05:44 PM
Hanover PA
J
jflowers Offline
Wanderer
jflowers  Offline
Wanderer
J

Hanover PA
Stunning!

Re: Couple New Bighorn Shots. . . [Re: jflowers] #8012
04/27/07 03:02 PM
04/27/07 03:02 PM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
Hi Tony,

That first shot blows my mind. Very well done.

James

Re: Couple New Bighorn Shots. . . [Re: James Morrissey] #8013
05/01/07 03:15 PM
05/01/07 03:15 PM
austin
wapiti Offline
Tracker
wapiti  Offline
Tracker

austin
I hope that someday I will get that close to a large big horn ram. However, the days of hikeing up a mountain are long behind me.
Great images.
Bill

Bill in Austin
Re: Couple New Bighorn Shots. . . [Re: wapiti] #8014
05/01/07 10:50 PM
05/01/07 10:50 PM
Arizona
daveman Offline
Old hand
daveman  Offline
Old hand

Arizona
Tony,

The first one is great. That shot, and the one of the goats in the other string, are really nice. I never seem to be able to get that close to those elusive animals.

You seem to really be able to get out into the back country a lot to get these shots. Do you combine this with backpacking and camping trips, or are these mostly day hikes?

See my stuff here davedilli.zenfolio.com
Re: Couple New Bighorn Shots. . . [Re: daveman] #8015
05/02/07 03:33 AM
05/02/07 03:33 AM
Washington
D
Dee Dee Offline
Veteran
Dee Dee  Offline
Veteran
D

Washington
You are amazing those are awesome. I can only imagine how it feels to stand there looking at them in real life.
What is the purpose of tipping his head up like that, is it a signal of some kind to the other guy?

My Web Site www.deedeemurry.com
Re: Couple New Bighorn Shots. . . [Re: Dee Dee] #8016
05/02/07 08:39 AM
05/02/07 08:39 AM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Montana
It's stretching, and scratching. This time of year they often use their horns to rub their necks - there are a lot of ticks this year.

Rams almost always are competitive. In fact, they compete for dominance year round. If you ever get to be around them, just watch how the males always are trying to get in front, or lead the pack. Sometimes you will see one or two larger males off, on the edges - they, to me are the smart ones. They sit back and save energy while the younger, more aggressive ones peck at one another. Until the rut, some of the larger males don’t play in that game. On the other hand, some of the larger, older more mature males never seem to out grow it. It's a preservation mechanism.

If a larger, mature male is killed, there always will be one or two to replace him. Mule deer are similar in this fashion. In a hard winter, the one's that save their energy survive to breed, usually that's the ones that are NOT always on the hook so to speak, or always fighting for dominance.

Thanks for looking and for your comments.

Tony

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 545 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright �2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer