Mn USA
D
davev Offline OP
Wanderer
davev  Offline OP
Wanderer
D

Mn USA
There was a release gathering about a year ago.
The Minnesota Raptor Center does this a couple of times a year. Another release is happening this weekend, but I can't get to it.
So here are what I think are my best shots from last year.
Camera: Canon XT
Lens: Canon 70-300is (non DO)

Here are some shots or the Bald Eagle release.

I think this is the best eagle shot that I have taken.

dave
Re: Raptor Release 1 year ago. (5 shots) [Re: davev] #8174
05/03/07 09:49 PM
05/03/07 09:49 PM
North Carolina
D
Dale Forrest Offline
Tracker
Dale Forrest  Offline
Tracker
D

North Carolina
Hi Dave,
Great shots. I especially like #3, he has a very unique expression.

I have an opportunity to shoot a release of a red tailed hawk this Weekend if the weather holds. It will be at the Stadium at my local University, Appalachian State University.

The release will be in front of the Grandstand etc.

Could you give me some advice about which lens to use etc.
I know that it will happen very quickly once the Hawk is released and my thoughts are to be up as close as possible to the handler and just fire a burst of shots as the Hawk leaves her hands.

I am working closely with the handler and will be able to be as close as I need to be.

Thanks again for any advice.

Dale

Re: Raptor Release 1 year ago. (5 shots) [Re: Dale Forrest] #8175
05/03/07 10:39 PM
05/03/07 10:39 PM
Kansas
S
spartacusii Offline
Tracker
spartacusii  Offline
Tracker
S

Kansas
dave - these are some awesome shots. but not only is #3 perhaps _your_ best eagle shot, i find it unique among any eagle picture i have ever seen. very nice of you to share with us. sorry you can't make it to this weekends release.

jp

Re: Raptor Release 1 year ago. (5 shots) [Re: spartacusii] #8176
05/04/07 02:07 PM
05/04/07 02:07 PM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
Hi Dave,

Very well done - I agree about the 3rd shot and the 4th shots being so very good. I also like the beginning ones with the actual release. They tell a definite story.

We have eagles that are being released every two or three years as they are trying to re-populate the area with them here in NYC. LOL, they learn to fly and move to New Jersey - just like everyone else.

-James

Re: Raptor Release 1 year ago. (5 shots) [Re: Dale Forrest] #8177
05/05/07 09:59 PM
05/05/07 09:59 PM
Mn USA
D
davev Offline OP
Wanderer
davev  Offline OP
Wanderer
D

Mn USA
Quote:

Hi Dave,
Great shots. I especially like #3, he has a very unique expression.

I have an opportunity to shoot a release of a red tailed hawk this Weekend if the weather holds. It will be at the Stadium at my local University, Appalachian State University.

The release will be in front of the Grandstand etc.

Could you give me some advice about which lens to use etc.
I know that it will happen very quickly once the Hawk is released and my thoughts are to be up as close as possible to the handler and just fire a burst of shots as the Hawk leaves her hands.

I am working closely with the handler and will be able to be as close as I need to be.

Thanks again for any advice.

Dale

Hopefully this gets to you before the event. I was out of town Fri, Sat.
The best advice I can give is to try to stand somewhere so the bird flies across in front of you. If it flies straight at you, the camera can have a hard time getting the focus lock.
With a little luck, it will be a bright day, use F8 if you can to get a little more depth of field, but still keep shutter speeds high.
Between shots, let the camera refocus. That bird is moving in and out of that first focus range, so by letting it refocus, you have a better chance to come away with more keepers.

To everyone else, thanks for looking and commenting.

dave

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 352 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online876
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer