05/06/07 12:30 PM
05/06/07 12:30 PM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Montana
Here's a couple shots from Saterdays treck!

Attached Files
Re: "Killer" Grizz Shots. . . [Re: Tony Bynum] #8184
05/06/07 04:34 PM
05/06/07 04:34 PM
Salt Lake City, Utah
Marty Everhard Offline
Old hand
Marty Everhard  Offline
Old hand

Salt Lake City, Utah
Excellent, as usual. They definetly tell a story, and make you wonder how it ends............I am always interested in the exif of a good shot, if you have time. Strong compositions, it is amazing how you get these animals to pose like that all the time......................

Re: "Killer" Grizz Shots. . . [Re: Marty Everhard] #8185
05/06/07 05:32 PM
05/06/07 05:32 PM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Montana
Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate the acknowledgements. The posing thing is all about timing, patience, and knowing what you want before it happens. Those shots take a lot thought, timing, and the biggest part of them is that you really have to be out in the field as much as possible, or can't possibly catch this kind of action.

Keep in mind these shots are once in a life time. The odds of me getting shots like this again are very slim. Its just I was ready for the opportunity when it presented itself. I'm a hunter, i've been around grizzlies a lot and when she started looken over those sheep, I know that I had better move into a position to shoot through the sheep and catch the bear sizing up the situation.

Some would say I got lucky, not me, I call spending the last 5 years looking for these shots, and then being ready when they show up.

How it ended was that grizz chased those sheep all over the mtn. As soon has she got a little closer, and started acting like she wanted to own the hill, i got out of her way. She has a new cub and she was acting very protective of it. I did not want to give her a reason to chase me, so I moved off as soon as she "locked-on" to that sheep in the second photo. . .

I shot around 1000 frames in about two hours, but only got a hand full where the sheep and bear were intereacting so to speak. I had to hustle to get in to position, and when I got there, things moved very fast.

Before these shots, the bear took a nap with her cub for about an hour while I sat, hunkerd down in the frezzing cold, 35mp wind for about an hour (I managed to get some cool shots of her sleeping too - I know, blown highllights, but sometimes you have to expose for the subject and NOT the highlights) . . . All in all, i think I got maybe 25-30 REAL keepers, in 13 hours of shooting and hiking. . . I almost thought it was going to be a wasted day. . . LOL Boy was I wrong! It was kind of hard to go back to photographing the same ol thing after that experence!

By the way what do you mean by exif data, I dont know how to check and but I can tell you what I was shooting and most of the settings from off the top of my head. What do you want to know?

Attached Files
Re: "Killer" Grizz Shots. . . [Re: Tony Bynum] #8186
05/06/07 09:54 PM
05/06/07 09:54 PM
Washington
D
Dee Dee Offline
Veteran
Dee Dee  Offline
Veteran
D

Washington
Man. That just takes all the fun out of the great little hummingbird shots I got over the weekend. LOL!!!

To say these are incredible would be an understatement. Great story how you got these too talk about committment! It had to be quite an adrenalin rush. What a treat to see a few thanks for sharing.

My Web Site www.deedeemurry.com
Re: "Killer" Grizz Shots. . . [Re: Dee Dee] #8187
05/06/07 11:55 PM
05/06/07 11:55 PM
Arizona
daveman Offline
Old hand
daveman  Offline
Old hand

Arizona
I am stunned by the photos with the Bears and Big Horn Sheep. Incredible...

See my stuff here davedilli.zenfolio.com
Re: "Killer" Grizz Shots. . . [Re: daveman] #8188
05/07/07 12:37 AM
05/07/07 12:37 AM
Salt Lake City, Utah
Marty Everhard Offline
Old hand
Marty Everhard  Offline
Old hand

Salt Lake City, Utah
By exif I mean lens & camera, iso- shutter speed and f-stop.Or other related technical data, filters, tri-pod, etc. I have mine in the CS2 bridge, as well as other places where I keep my shots.

"Knowing what you want before it happns." Interesting comment.

These shots are one in a million. I think it's interesting that the first shot is a perspective with the grizz in focus, while the second is the ram in focus. The baby's really ice the cake on these. Congratulations on these shots. You earned them! I do not call these luck at all.
Patience and skill coupled with a hell of a nose. You must really trust yourself with these bears to be so near the cub, and thier dinner! Holy shit!

Re: "Killer" Grizz Shots. . . [Re: Marty Everhard] #8189
05/07/07 08:15 AM
05/07/07 08:15 AM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Montana
exif - second shot
d2000/mbd200
200-400 f4 with kirk foot
1.4 tc
f/8 1/250 iso 400
white balance cloudy
matrix metering

bogan carbon tripod - they have the winged locks which are essential for quick action tripod use. I dont usually carry my monster carbon tripod to on a trip like this because the twist locks are toooooo slooooooooooooow. . .

foba super ballhead = easy to use, it's not the smoothest ballhead out there but it's tough and I the large winged handle makes it easy to run with gloves on.

The snow shots were manual metered off the snow. I wanted some detail in the snow, but I also wanted to get some detail in the bears, and the sun was shining directly over head, about the worst possible lighting for snow and almost black subjects! I know it was cloudy WB but I cant remember the shutter speed ISO and ap. . . sorry.

I dont remember the rest of data, if I find it I'll post it. . .

I really do trust myself, but I was a good distance away with a very large ravine and lots of natural food sources around me. I sized up the fact that even while a gizzly is protective of her baby, she almost never will travel those distances unless there's really a compelling reason, and humans usually are not enough of a reason. She wont leave that baby for long. Once she crossed the snow and got the kill attitude is when I left. . . I dont think she would have come after me, but you never know with grizzly bears, and I did not want to have a stand off with her, I was there to have fun, not get in her way. . .

"Knowing what you want" I always go to the field with a plan. I always look at the weather, and the current conditions, both of the animal and the environment. Right now most of the animals are spending a lot of time feeding. They also are sheeding so I'll be lookin for shots of them scratching, rubbing and eating. I'll also try to find predations shots, like these. . .

I always try to get some of each when there's more than one subject, you never know when they might come in handy, or which one really turns out. . . Subject distance, perspective, focal length, and apature also are part of the decision making. Long lenses dont have much depth of field ever stopped down, so at 500mm even if you shoot at f11 or f16 your NOT going to get the two in focuse at the same time.

Attached Files
Re: "Killer" Grizz Shots. . . [Re: Tony Bynum] #8190
05/07/07 09:04 AM
05/07/07 09:04 AM
Southern Ohio USA
Randall Offline
Traveler
Randall  Offline
Traveler

Southern Ohio USA
You do great work Tony ,wish I had your energy.lol
Thanks For sharing Randall

Randall-FINE ART -- FOR THE HOME AND OFFICE[url=http://:fineartamerica.com/shop/randallbranham.html
Re: "Killer" Grizz Shots. . . [Re: Randall] #8191
05/07/07 04:22 PM
05/07/07 04:22 PM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
Tony, as you already know, these are absolutely amazing. As you said, they are 'once in a lifetime shots' and you are very fortunate to have had the experience.

Thanks for sharing!
James

Re: "Killer" Grizz Shots. . . [Re: James Morrissey] #8192
05/08/07 06:18 PM
05/08/07 06:18 PM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Montana
Thanks James and other's who checked out these shots. I'm still on my "rush" from the experence! It was awesome getting into position to get the griz and the sheep in the same frame. I was huffing and puffing to get their in time. . .

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 312 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer