Kansas
A
andrew Offline OP
Tracker
andrew  Offline OP
Tracker
A

Kansas
I took some graduation photos over the weekend. Many came out very grainy. I have no idea why or what would cause it.
Click the picture for full size:

If anybody knows what the issue is please let me know.

Thanks for any help.
Andrew

Re: help please. grainy pictures. [Re: andrew] #8345
05/14/07 04:34 PM
05/14/07 04:34 PM
Southern Illinois
T
thedra Offline
Tracker
thedra  Offline
Tracker
T

Southern Illinois
Hi Andrew

Looking at the exif for the photo, it was shot at 1600 iso! With that high an ISO you will almost always get grain, also it was shot at f22 with no flash and the EXIF said flash should have been used, the asterick by the 1/125 speed usually means it could have been slower but the shutter priority you were shooting at over rode the auto settings.

Just an idea.

Tom

Re: help please. grainy pictures. [Re: thedra] #8346
05/14/07 05:48 PM
05/14/07 05:48 PM
Kansas
A
andrew Offline OP
Tracker
andrew  Offline OP
Tracker
A

Kansas
I figured some setting must have not been right, but did not know what. Thanks for the tip. I'll check the camera settings.

Andrew

Re: help please. grainy pictures. [Re: andrew] #8347
05/14/07 06:03 PM
05/14/07 06:03 PM
Donner Summit, CA
glamson Offline
Veteran
glamson  Offline
Veteran

Donner Summit, CA
Quote:

I took some graduation photos over the weekend. Many came out very grainy. I have no idea why or what would cause it.

If anybody knows what the issue is please let me know.

Thanks for any help.
Andrew

Tom pretty much nailed the problem. I am curious about your comment that "many" of them came out grainy. Does that mean some came out OK. I don't know the Rebel XTi but this sounds like either you inadvertently set the ISO to 1600 or there is some sort of "autoiso" feature set that changes the iso to optimize shutter speed. Shooting at f/22 is really asking for trouble. Not only does it require alot of light, but there may be some lens diffraction degradation down that low. You are definitely correct to check your settings.

Re: help please. grainy pictures. [Re: glamson] #8348
05/15/07 01:31 PM
05/15/07 01:31 PM
Kansas
A
andrew Offline OP
Tracker
andrew  Offline OP
Tracker
A

Kansas
Yes, a few photos came out ok, but it was by sheer luck. I was checking the viewing screen after each shot and the lighting looked ok, so I kept right on shooting. Two erroneous taps of a button could have set the ISO to 1600. I guess that's what happened. ??
Lesson learned. Mistakes = experience, right?

I actually sat down and read the whole manual last night. I should have done that first, but I was just so excited to get out and shoot!

Now that I know a little about aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc., I have no idea how to know what settings to use. I can do test shots no problem, but for wildlife, I don't want to miss anything because I am looking down at my camera.

Are there any good rules of thumb you all go by?

Thanks for the help.
Andrew

Re: help please. grainy pictures. [Re: andrew] #8349
05/15/07 03:43 PM
05/15/07 03:43 PM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
I usually shoot wide open, on aperture priority. That is just my personal way of shooting though. I like a minimal depth of field and a fast shutter speed. Shooting wide open tends to do that.

My lenses are sharp wide open, but many are not, and it is best to stop down a little. You just have to know how your lenses are.

Re: help please. grainy pictures. [Re: andrew] #8350
05/16/07 04:21 AM
05/16/07 04:21 AM
Donner Summit, CA
glamson Offline
Veteran
glamson  Offline
Veteran

Donner Summit, CA
Quote:

I actually sat down and read the whole manual last night. I should have done that first, but I was just so excited to get out and shoot!

Now that I know a little about aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc., I have no idea how to know what settings to use. I can do test shots no problem, but for wildlife, I don't want to miss anything because I am looking down at my camera.

Are there any good rules of thumb you all go by?

Thanks for the help.
Andrew

Andrew,

Welcome to the quest for optimal image quality (IQ). I have to admit that I am always trying to optimize my settings and it requires looking at the camera alot. But I think there a couple of rules of thumb that you can try

>Make sure you set up your camera when you first go out to shoot. I don't know how many shots I ruined because I left some special settings from my last session.

>I think with the rebel you can probably use an ISO of 400 and get pretty good IQ for most situations. ISO 200 would be OK where you've got plenty of light. After 400, the noise (grain) just gets worse.

>While Julie shoots wide open and is satisfied with her lens performance, most lenses really perform at optimum when stopped down 1 or 2 stops. Shooting wide open does maximize shutter speed and the ability to freeze the action, but the shallow depth of field means you really need focus to be right on. If you've got enough light stopping down to 5.6 or 8 and maintaining a shutter speed of 1/250 or better will probably be optimum. If you're using a longer lens (above 150) higher shutter speed is really critical for preventing image blur.

>It is also a good idea to check the settings periodically, because as you found out the hard way, settings can be inadvertently changed and can degrade IQ.

I could go on, but I think these are the basics.

George

Re: help please. grainy pictures. [Re: glamson] #8351
05/16/07 09:06 AM
05/16/07 09:06 AM
Kansas
A
andrew Offline OP
Tracker
andrew  Offline OP
Tracker
A

Kansas
Excellent!
Thank you for the help Julie and Glamson.

Andrew

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 170 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online876
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer