Maine, USA
L
lloydsjourney Offline OP
Tracker
lloydsjourney  Offline OP
Tracker
L

Maine, USA
I have been saddened the last few weeks by losing what I thought was a friend. I have purchased Canon cameras since the late 1980's as a teenager. Point and shot on up through Rebels and lenses. Much money over the years and I was always sure to talk up their products because I simply never had any problems with my Canon's. They were dependable and the pictures were wonderful. Recently I purchased a Powershot a710 IS which was new to the market and was not cheap by P n S standards. I have been purchasing Powershots instead of replacing my old Rebel SLR with a digital SLR. I have an A95 which has done a great job for me and taken many trips over the last few years. I fell in love with the 710 as it has a wonderful zoom and it great with outdoor shots. It isn't so great when you need to use the flash as the recharge is very slow. It can't be counted on for those memorable moments of children. Anyway it was awesome for what I needed it to be.

I got it in February and took it on some winter hikes and kept right on going till a few weeks ago. I got home from a hike and the camera had some moisture in the back. So I opened it all up and hoped it would dry. On Monday when it was still moist I sent it to Canon as it was under warranty. The camera was handled as I have always handle my cameras and it was not in adverse conditions. The moisture was from sweat I assume. It wasn't dropped in water or anything like that.

Canon tells me this $400 four month old camera is not going to be covered because of water damage. I explain to them that it to me should be covered unless they have lowered the standards of the cameras. Every other camera has withstood far worse conditions and in fact my A95 was dropped in a stream and never missed a beat. I believe there is a problem with the case of the A710 but they say it doesn't matter how or why there is moisture and that all that matters is moisture voids the warranty.

So it is headed back to me not repaired and not working. I talked to a few different people at Canon and the response was the same. It doesn't matter how or what... it just matters that it has moisture. It voids the warranty.

I am disappointed in Canon and feel let down as a long time customer. This is the first time I have ever had to do anything with a camera from Canon but it was a disappointing experience. If I learned anything it is that loyalty goes one way and it is not from the camera company to the customer.

Brand loyalty is one way!! I may continue to use Canon products but not with the same amount of joy or trust. Nor will I promote them freely as I have in the past. I feel as though I lost a friend in Canon.

Lloyd

Re: lost a friend in Canon [Re: lloydsjourney] #9511
07/17/07 01:03 PM
07/17/07 01:03 PM
Maine, USA
L
lloydsjourney Offline OP
Tracker
lloydsjourney  Offline OP
Tracker
L

Maine, USA
Let me clear up. I didn't open the camera. I meant I took the batteries out of it and left that open plus a ring that goes around the lense that slips off to put on other lenses. That is all I meant by opened it up. Sorry for the confusion.

My main issue is that they won't consider the fact that it could be bad design or maybe something just in that body I had that was not fitting properly. Thus allowing moisture in. I have had sweat on cameras befor with no issues. It happens when you are hiking or in the elements to take pictures. I am not asking them for a product that is submergable. Just one that can handle what my other Canon's have handled for years and years. Normal use.

Re: lost a friend in Canon [Re: lloydsjourney] #9512
07/17/07 05:55 PM
07/17/07 05:55 PM
South Eastern Pa
Wingshooter Offline
Wanderer
Wingshooter  Offline
Wanderer

South Eastern Pa
I know what I would do with it , some of you may not like what I say . My thoughts are this , you payed good money of it and it hasn't even lived out its usefulness. After 4 months and Canon won't stand behind , I would take it back where I bought it and do one of two things . Ask for a refund or replacement , if that failed I would buy another switch camera's and return the old broken one in the new box . This might not work at a small camera store or from an online retailer , however at one of the big chain super stores (Bestbuy, Circuit City ) you won't have a problem . Like I said if you feel your not at fault I would have no problems doing this . Some of you may and thats fine.
Good luck

Re: lost a friend in Canon [Re: Wingshooter] #9513
07/17/07 07:51 PM
07/17/07 07:51 PM
Oklahoma, USA
cpd23 Offline
Wanderer
cpd23  Offline
Wanderer

Oklahoma, USA
I am not sure I agree with Wingshooter, however I would look at filing a small claims suit against them and the store you bought it from. You will get the attention of everyone and I will bet canon will respond to the issue then.

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 181 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer