08/05/07 11:17 PM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Montana
Summary

Today was a good day. The burn out operations in the area of the South Fork of Two Medicine Creek were very successful. The wind was favorable for most of the day and much of the area that needed to be burned to secure the fireline burned well. There is no change in evacuation orders or levels.

Because of active fire behavior yesterday, the evacuation levels on the east end of the fire changed. The different levels are described as: Level 1 is the lowest level, and is notification that there is a possibility of an evacuation. Level 2 is notification that there is a possibility of an evacuation and take steps to be ready to evacuate if need be. Level 3 is notification to evacuate.

Level 3 The area north of BIA2 between the South Fork Two Medicine River and BIA 1 to the Two Medicine River. Level 2 The area west of the South Fork Two Medicine River south of BIA 2 and south of U.S. Hwy 2. Also that area east of BIA 1 north of Heart Butte to the Two Medicine River. Level 1 That area north of the junction of BIA 2 and U.S. Hwy 2, north to and including East Glacier.

U.S. Hwy 2 is open, but there is a speed restriction in the fire area.

Yesterday was a relatively good day with only small fire growth. The fire spotted over control lines in the S. Fork Two Medicine River drainage prompting the evacuation levels to change. The north end of the fire east and north of Dog Gun Lake is in good shape. The south end on Mule Ridge is well secured as well. Crews continue to reinforce fire lines and burn out to fortify those lines. Once again we are the #1 fire in the nation.

Weather: Winds are expected to shift from the east to the south this afternoon that will put smoke into East Glacier. Those winds will not be near as high as the previous days however. Higher humidity's should moderate fire behavior. High temps 75-86 depending on elevation, min. humidity 21-30%

Badger Cabin, which is an USFS cabin in the Badger Creek tributary south of the fire, has been wrapped with fire resistant foil. The fire is now 19 miles long. The most easterly reach of the fire is to the Deep Creek drainage on the Blackfeet Reservation, and to Mule Ridge to the west near Skyland Road. Base camp is located south of Hwy 2, just south of Skyland Road.

Re: Skyland Fire (Glacier Park) Update [Re: Tony Bynum] #9684
08/08/07 12:33 AM
08/08/07 12:33 AM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
Hey Tony,

How has your home been holding up?

James

Re: Skyland Fire (Glacier Park) Update [Re: James Morrissey] #9685
08/08/07 09:00 AM
08/08/07 09:00 AM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Montana
home is okay. expecting to go to stage II any day, VERY strong winds on tuesday and already this morning! Very concerning! Here's the latest report.

Summary

Yesterday crews continued to reinforce fire lines on the north, east and west portions of the fire and burn out to fortify those lines. The south side of the fire remains open. The fire escaped control lines on the northeast corner near S. Fork Medicine Creek south of East Glacier Monday afternoon about 4:00 and made a 2 mile run to the east-northeast, crossing BIA Hwy 2, and finally ending up out in the grasslands. Crews burned out firelines late into the evening. No structures were lost, and no evacuations took place. Evacuation levels remain unchanged from yesterday.

The Forest Rangers quickly rounded up cattle and horses that were out in front of the fire and took them to safer pastures. The fire also made a short run to the south towards Mt. Baldy and ended up stalling in the rocky crags. The fire did not reach Badger Cabin. There are stronger winds from the southwest forecast for today and the next few days, which is concerning. Those winds will be a good test for the firelines. Today crews will concentrate on the area near Glacier View subdivision trying to keep the fire away from structures, and continue to build and reinforce firelines around the east, west, and north lines.

There will be a public meeting at East Glacier Lodge Tuesday night at 7:30. Washington State team 3 is timing out and will be transferring management of the fire to Pacific Northwest team 3 who will take over management of the fire on Wednesday. The new incident commander, Jeff Pendleton, will be introduced, and there will be an update on the fire.

There are stronger winds from the southwest forecast for Tuesday and several days after which is concerning. Badger cabin, which is an USFS cabin in the Badger Creek tributary south of the fire, has been wrapped with fire resistant foil. The fire is now 19 miles long. The most easterly reach of the fire is to the Deep Creek drainage on the Blackfeet Reservation, and to Mule Ridge to the west near Skyland Road. Base camp is located south of Hwy 2, just south of Skyland Road.

U.S. Hwy 2 is open, but there is a speed restriction in the fire area.

There is no change in evacuation levels. The different levels of evacuation are described as: Level 1 is the lowest level, and is notification that there is a possibility of an evacuation. Level 2 is notification that there is a possibility of an evacuation and take steps to be ready to evacuate if need be. Level 3 is notification to evacuate.

Level 3 None Level 2 The area north of BIA2 between the South Fork Two Medicine River and BIA 1 to the Two Medicine River. The area west of the South Fork Two Medicine River south of BIA 2 and south of U.S. Hwy 2 to Marias Pass. Level 1 That area east of BIA 1 north of Heart Butte to Browning. That area north of the junction of BIA 2 and U.S. Hwy 2, north to and including East Glacier.

Re: Skyland Fire (Glacier Park) Update [Re: Tony Bynum] #9686
08/08/07 09:28 PM
08/08/07 09:28 PM
Alberta
C
Crazy_Canuck Offline
Wanderer
Crazy_Canuck  Offline
Wanderer
C

Alberta
Does anyone on this blog have an update on the Skyland Wildfire situation. We have family that live off highway 2 near East Glacier we "think" they are near mile marker 207, we have not heard from them for a couple of days. We would really appreciate any info available. Hope you are all safe
Thanks from Canada !

Re: Skyland Fire (Glacier Park) Update [Re: Crazy_Canuck] #9687
08/08/07 11:42 PM
08/08/07 11:42 PM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Montana
I'm on the fire department and was up there in that area tonight. if they are at 207, they are about 10 miles from the current fire line on the south and west end of the fire. A large fireline has been placed east of the hwy 2 it help stop the it if it should turn west and north.

The fire has burned down to hwy 2 just west of the summit of Marias Pass at about mile maker 195. It is burning ground litter and torching some stands, but the fire in that area is light overall. That could change with the weather. It's been much cooler and the humidity is up. Good news.

By the way, I do NOT believe there are any houses located in the 207 mile area. The structures that are threatened are about 5 miles from East Glacier Park and the houses along the heart butte cut across road 1 miles south (west on hwy 2) of east glacier. So far only a few small structures have been lost, and those were in the area of Dog Gun Lake and across the USFS boundary around the old hard trigger ranch. . .
Who is your family?

Re: Skyland Fire (Glacier Park) Update [Re: Tony Bynum] #9688
08/09/07 12:15 AM
08/09/07 12:15 AM
Alberta
C
Crazy_Canuck Offline
Wanderer
Crazy_Canuck  Offline
Wanderer
C

Alberta
Thank you for the fast reply. The family name is Rottenbiller. I think we did get the mile marker wrong as they are very close to East Glacier, about a mile east of the Firebrand Restaurant on the south side of highway 2. We know they are on level 2 notice. We really appreciate you taking the time to update us as it is extremely difficult to get accurate information here. We haven't been in close contact with them since monday as they are scrambling to cut trees, etc. and are busy so we hoped to keep posted by some other means and this blog came up. so cool. thanks again. please keep us up to date if possible and we will pass on this info to other relatives. good luck.

Re: Skyland Fire (Glacier Park) Update [Re: Tony Bynum] #9689
08/09/07 12:22 PM
08/09/07 12:22 PM
Helena, MT
D
Don Edwards Offline
Venturer
Don Edwards  Offline
Venturer
D

Helena, MT
Tony,

Thanks for the updates on what's happening up your way, glad to here you're safe and sound. Hope it stays that way, fires aren't very predictable.

Don

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
Re: Skyland Fire (Glacier Park) Update [Re: Don Edwards] #9690
08/09/07 02:14 PM
08/09/07 02:14 PM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Montana
Hey canuk, the fire really is a LONG way from that location although if given the right set of conditions, it could be there in short order. Today the winds are faverable, still cool, so the fire wont grow much in this area.

I know the places along that area and while there is a threat, it's very small.

On the otherhand, since this fire likely will burn until it gets rained or snowed out, there never really is complete safety. I'll be sure and update this thread if things change. . .

DEdwards, thanks for the remarks. . .I'll here until the end no doubt. . .

Re: Skyland Fire (Glacier Park) Update [Re: Tony Bynum] #9691
08/09/07 02:54 PM
08/09/07 02:54 PM
Alberta
C
Crazy_Canuck Offline
Wanderer
Crazy_Canuck  Offline
Wanderer
C

Alberta
Hey Tony, appreciate your feedback. I wish I could send our weather there today. Very cold and lots of rain (Calgary). Take care.

Re: Skyland Fire (Glacier Park) Update [Re: Crazy_Canuck] #9692
08/09/07 04:19 PM
08/09/07 04:19 PM
Helena, MT
D
Don Edwards Offline
Venturer
Don Edwards  Offline
Venturer
D

Helena, MT
I hear ya there canuck, we've had rain here for the last three days. some areas of southwest Iowa, south east Nebraska, down to north west Missouri have had 7-10 inches of rain since Sunday.

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 356 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer