Quote:

Any book by John Shaw
Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson

Those books should teach you what you need to know. If I took a basic photo class and I didn't learn about exposure in that class, I think I would ask for a refund.

I have to ask: why are you asking such a basic question when on your web site you are promoting yourself as a professional photographer and activley seeking jobs as an event photographer?

David, that's a fair question and I don't mind responding. I fell into being asked to cover events such as herding, stock car racing, 4H, and some equine events, which have also led to doing some candid shots at the homes or farms, etc. I've also been encouraged in this by one of the magazine editors who has purchased my photos. Each event I've covered has simply led to another and, although I do lack the technical knowledge these requests have helped both to supplement my freelance writing but have also added to my experiences.

I'm learning and working towards advancing my capabilities and skills and everyone who has hired me has been aware of this -- they have also been pleased. I'm well aware that, in order to improve and advance my skills I need to have a far better understanding of the technical aspects. That is why I've enrolled in the college and am taking these steps.

I've never tried to deceive anyone, as your tone and comment infer, and when people have asked me to cover an event (each has been by referral), I explain my rates are lower than others because I'm still working towards advancing my skills. No one has found this disagreeable.

Diane