David,
this is where things get difficult when looking at digital images -- what might be over-sharpening to you might be the way I saw the image in my mind's eye.

Let me start by saying that I agree with you. Many of the images I see posted look to me as if they are sharpened beyond the ability of any lens I've seen to resolve. Having said that, is it "wrong" to sharpen a scene to a level that matches what my eyes see versus what my lens sees? I have 20/18 vision (thank you, Lord). I see things pretty clearly. Do I sharpen in post-production to match that vision?

Or, do I match what I remember film used to look like? Keeping in mind that film has its own limitations in terms of ability to resolve detail.

My own preference is to under-sharpen. The sharper the lens I used to capture the image, the less sharpening I apply in post-production. While that may seem intuitive, it isn't always the case. When I shoot portraits of people, I like them a little soft. It tends to hide skin blemishes. When I shoot landscapes, I like them fairly sharp. Not razor sharp because over distance, atmospheric conditions tend to soften the details. When I shoot macro, I want as much detail as I can squeeze out of the image both on the front end (lens) and the back end (post-production).

The problem for many of us is that we tend to use the same sharpening steps and levels regardless of what we're shooting. I use Photokit Sharpener which is a 3-stage sharpening plug-in which allows you to sharpen the basic image, apply "creative" sharpening to a desired level and then post-sharpen for whatever output device you're using.

I find this approach forces me to think about just how much apparent sharpness I want in my images. My own personal objective is to produce "film-like" images. And in my mind's eye, that film is more like Ektachrome than Kodachrome. But that's me. For others, the objective may be very different.

What's your sharpening objective?

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz