Quote:

AMAZING camera...except one thing. Darned if 14bit files....and .jpg files from 14bit shooting mode (obviously converted down to 8bit for .jpg in the camera)make my 64bit Operating System crash while trying to render thumbnails.

If I shoot in 12 bit mode.....everything is absolutly fine.

They have a codec for 32bit operating systems...but not for 64bit. Wrote Nikon and hoping to get an answer soon.

Now...with all that asside...and I am sure I will get that taken care of soon....the camera ...well...lets just put it this way.....I am so glad I sold my D2X to get this unit. It is nothing short of a huge evolutionary step forward.

Would post some inital shots..but their all 14 bit so cant do anything with them right now....but plan on playing this week in 12bit mode to get a feel for it.

It is the FIRST camera I have started to trust the matrix metering on.

More to come later.

Roman

Congrats Roman. Too bad about the 64bit codec. Part of that bleeding edge thing. I am really looking forward to you sharing your experiences with this new puppy. I'm waiting to pull the trigger myself. I just can't bring myself to become an early adopter of a brand new Nikon camera. I did it with the D70 and lost my camera for a month with BGLOD. Then there was the banding issue with early D200s. I have to admit it's getting harder and harder to hold back with all the things I'm reading about the D300. I'm sure your evaluation will be very valuable.

BTW: I guess you've noticed that things are getting pretty brutal over at DPR. Seems like you can't read a thread anymore without it degrading into personal attacks. Hopefully that will die down after all the new camera posts settle. I always enjoy you're posts over there.