It's the camera, well, the batteries. I'm not suggesting that people are being less than truthful about their use of the d300 in the cold, but I know now that it's the batteries. Few people spend much time with their gear outside in sub zero. Most are out for a few minutes and then back to the car or buss, even fewer are using long lenses with VR like the 200-400, some retreat to a house or a building or, it's not quite as cold as they think it is. The bottom line is that each situation is different I'm sure humidity even plays some part.

I along with another world class cold weather photographer have been doing some extensive testing, and the results show that it's the enel3e batteries. His detailed battery test results first keyed me into doing more research.

Anyway, the enel3e's are almost useless after 1/2hour at -15 or below. At around zero they discharge to 12-15% in about 40 minutes. Also, the 200-400 afs vr has a good deal of draw. so couple zero battery life at -15 and a big draw from the 200-400 and whala, dead camera. . . Ive been able to replicate this both in real time and in the lab - well, the lab for the lab test is the deep freeze and the real time tests is the bush of glacier park and southern alberta.

Now that I'be got the bl3 door i'll test again with the enel4 and the aa alkalines. . . I'll bet I have a lot better luck with the enel4 battery, the enel3's just cant take negative temps for very long. . .