Hey Tom,

Thanks for the information on the CHLs. Curiously, what happens when an owner is in a park that crosses multiple states (such as Yellowstone or Death Valley)? As I recall, one of the articles I cited raised this question in the newsletter this month.

As to the the response that the general consensus of the posts were 'liberal' in their orientation because all but two posters were strongly against this, I do not believe that this is accurate. I did a count (and perhaps I am losing it as it is late) of the messages. As I saw it, 4 posters were for the relaxation of the ban (Yourself, Gll, David and Gluteal Cleft), 6 were against (Tony, JamesDak, Roman, PeggySue, Jim Garvie and myself) and one did not say one way or the other (John O'Connell).

Interestingly, of the 6 folks who were against a relaxation of the ban, at least 3 of us said we are not against gun ownership in any way...just not relaxing the ban in the back country areas of the parks.

"Several imagined tragic secenarios were cited as good reason the law should not be inacted. Although you don't care for the stereotype "liberal", that kind of rhetoric sounds exactly like that of the anti-gun people and if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck----------------------"

The situation, unfortunately, lends itself to imagined scenarios. Even my own scenario was imagined, not based on reality. I will be the first to agree with you though that speculation 'does not necessarily make it so.' It seems though that both 'pro' and 'anti' gun folks seem to find a case to make their opinion valid in any situation that occurs regarding a gun one way or the other.

However, given that the topic has been fairly well balanced over-all, why ruin the conversation with statements that are only going to lead to a degredation of the discussion? I find that any time someone throws the word 'liberal' or 'conservative' into the mix that it just becomes a way of people getting out feelings rather than substantive debate that actually ends in something valuable.

Thanks again for the information. It certainly does help put some of the items in perspective.

James