Quote:

looks great. and you have a beautiful home as well!

While matting and framing are a matter of preference there are a few standards that I think should be followed.

I'm not an "expert," but I believe that the mats should have identical widths on the top, left, and right sides, the bottom could be slightly longer, but the sides should normally not be more narrow, or wider than the top or the bottom.

The shot of the bighorn, and a few others on the right wall seem to have variable mat widths, from side to side and top to bottom. The top, left, and right sides should all match one another, the bottom can and often should be wider.

I wish i had your space and motivation to hang my stuff up. . .

Tony

Tony,

Thanks for the feedback.

Ah the matting question. Seems like everyone has their opinions on it. This is one of the real bugaboos when you get to cropping and framing a print. Now in a perfect world I would crop the print according to what I think is the best composition. Then I would matte as you describe with equal widths right, top and left and then make the bottom slightly wider. Then I would make a custom frame (read expensive) to fit the final matte dimensions. This is what I do for the panoramas.

Unfortunately, in my financially limited world, I go to Aaron brothers and buy standard 16x20 frames when I get a good sale price. That means the final dimensions are set. Now the question is do you crop the print for composition or to fit into a equal width 16x20 matte? My choice is to still crop for composition and let the matte compensate for the difference in aspect ratio between the cropped print and standard frame.

As usual, life is a series of compromises and you just have to hope you choose the right ones.

Geo