I have wanted to get into macro for a while and recently decided to take the plunge.

The biggest decision for me was what Lens. I knew I wanted a telephoto macro and considered the Nikon 200 f4(pricey and hard to get) the Nikon 105 VR but have heard some less than excellent reviews, plus I wanted more reach. The next lens was the Nikon 300 F4 with the addition of the PN-11 or equivalent extension tube which I have seen some very good results with and with the added reach it was ideal. I had a line on the 300 F4 but by the time I made my mind up it was sold ;-(. So I have decided on the Sigma 150 2.8 macro which has been getting great reviews.

While I wait for the lens to come in I decided to try this macro thing out with my 35-70 2.8 and a PK-13 extension tube. This flower is side lit from the left and I used a deflector from the bottom right to highlight the Stigma and antlers as well as the underside of the petals. Light was fading fast so the effect is limited and I could have isolated the background a little better.

any macro people in the house have any suggestions?

Jim Davis Spiorad an Dúlra http://jimmy-d.smugmug.com