Yeah, Jim, seriously you may be tempted to lecture but our job as photographers is to deal with the dog the way it is. Most owners don't understand the training issues and most think their pet is perfect the way it is.

We met a Boston Terrier last evening that the owners want me to photograph. They think he's just the sweetest, nicest dog in the whole world. He growled at Linda and was afraid of me. To put that in context, that is only the second dog that has ever growled at Linda in the 40 years that I've known her and no dog is ever afraid of me. So, I layed on the floor and lured him with little bits of dog food until he finally was comfortable enough to come over to me and let me pet him.

He's still going to be a challenge because his owners have spoiled him beyond even my capabilities (and that is truly saying a lot ) But by the time we left, the dog was finally reacting to my ping pong mouth noises with great "ears".

My job was to get him to be comfortable with me. I've really never had to work at that and it was difficult to play down my dominance but that's sometimes what it takes.

It makes you appreciate the ones that are well-trained and confident. Those are the ones that are a joy to photograph.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz