Greetings all: Just signed up and really enjoy the site. I too am a Nikon shooter and just read this evening the Alaska article that Bernie Weinzimmer wrote. It was great article. I own many pieces of Nikon glass and noted in the article that of the Alaskan shooter brought 200-400 VR zoom. I have been trying to decided on this lens or a 500mm lens. I use a D2x and D70. Seems most of the trips attendees were Nikon and have similiar equipment to my listing.

I do shoot some sports with my kids (soccer and wrestling) so the zoom is very attractive. I don't do birds unless I get an opportunity to capture larger ones such as the offerings in Florida or the birds that have wider wing spread. (Frankly, the little ones we have in the Midwest just don't do anything for me.) I do some nature (larger critter) but right now its captive. Most mammal opportunities would be a special trip to their habitat.

I would certainly appreciate anyone feedback or experience on their longer lenses used and their application.

Regards,

Greg