Quote:

Tucson Jim, is it not cooler (some) down by patagonia in some of the preserve's ? Not as cool as San Diego but lots of birds at different times of year..What about the top of Mt. Lemon.. LOL I've not been up there in years.

Bernard:

Yep, Patagonia Lake and the adjacent Sonoita Creek State Natural Area (Bird Sanctuary), as well as Mount Lemmon, are both somewhat cooler than Tucson.

Although my wife enjoys San Diego, I really hate driving in that town. I'd rather tackle the Los Angeles freeways than San Diego. So, I'm not one who makes that trek very often.

For cooling off purposes, I prefer Oak Creek Canyon, the White Mountains or Silver City, NM. I haven't been through Oak Creek since the fires/floods, however. Seeing the affects of the bark beetle infestation the last time I was there just about broke my heart. I can only imagine what it looks like now. Argh!&^$%$!!

I think I'm ready to try my hand at some bird photography if I can muster the patience, and the Patagonia Lake/Sonoita Creek area is a nice place to start. Do you think it is too late in the season already to go now?

Jim