I've gotten myself into something that I really would prefer not doing....but I have no choice, and with that, I need to try and do the best job I possibly can. To explain, my nieces daughter is getting married in Oct...they have no money for a photographer....yes, I explained to them how important a professional photographer is to capture their memories but, they have no budget for one and asked me if I could do my best...yikes! I was going to try and politely back out, since I don't do people photography but then this past weekend the soon to be groom was in a car accident, in turn having xrays done to make sure all was well, they find out he has testicular cancer! He is only 20 years old. So, if they need my help I am more than willing to give it a shot...and from now until Oct I will be reading every wedding forum possible to get ideas....now to my big question.....the only gear I have is my canon 100-400...canon 70-300 and a canon 50mm lens..I have the canon 580exII flash..I need to purchase a wide angle lens (oh, the wedding is on a paddleboat) I know nothing about wide angle lenses or which would work better...I prefer not to get a prime but a telephoto so I can use it later as a walk around general lens. I've been looking at the canon 17-55 2.8 ....In your opinion would this lens work for wedding shots? Should I be looking at something different?????? Not sure how tight quarters will be on the paddleboat. They have the entire boat for 4 hours, three decks and they will be married on the top deck, I just hope its slightly overcast that day!
My heart goes out to these kids, the excitement of getting married and now the uncertainty of what is to come.

Connie