James,

My wife and I spent many vacations up in Acadia. We used to camp at Mt. Desert Campground which is located almost at the tip of the fjord that splits the island. A very convenient location for getting to both sides of the island easily ( not that the island is THAT large to begin with.)

What I like about Acadia NP is that is has a little bit of everything - if you like to spend time in/near the ocean there is Sand Beach, there are plenty of hiking trails from easy to moderate, sunrises and sunsets up on Cadillac mountain are spectacular, etc. etc. And yes there is Bar Harbor for when you need a shot civilization and commercialization.

There are other places on the island to visit - Northeast and Southwest Harbors, Thuya and Asticou Gardens,and on and on. Here is a link that will get you started.

One of my favorite walks is the hike around Jordan Pond. You start and end at the Jordan Pond House. It's a fairly easy walk - good for a couple of hours. This is a photograph that I shot from the south end of Jordan Pond looking toward a feature called 'The Bubbles.' I need to spruce it up a bit but you get the idea.

We haven't been back in a few years and it seems like it's overdue.

Joe