I live just under three hours away so it does take a little planning for a trek over there, but well worth it when you go.

If you enjoy wilderness camping, I suggest a few days in Baxter State Park. The last time I was there, I watched a thunderstorm encircle Mt. Kathardin, simply beautiful.

Make a list of everything you need before you go, this is no place to forget the can opener. The Gatekeeper will assign a spot for you according to the watercraft you have.

Listen to the game warden's instructions to your campsite CAREFULLY. They do not have signs pointing the way. Your instructions might include: go EXACTLY 89.2 miles on odometer, turn right.

It is a smooth ride through but definitely a tough 4-wheel drive vehicle is necessary, especially in the spring, once you make that left or right.

You will feel like everyone fell off the face of the planet, and most likely the only human contact you will have during your stay will be the game warden's that fly at tree top level to check on your well-being. Give them a thumbs-up and they are on their way.

Oh, one very important thing I don't want to forget to add, becareful, the laws of the road DO NOT APPLY.......seriously, so pay close attention to vehicles you meet.