Not me . . . I doubt I'll be retiring any time soon . . . but it's time for us to retire Rowdy from showing in Conformation.

So what set of circumstances brought us to (what is for us) this monumental conclusion? Today, he won Best Veteran in Breed at the Greater Daytona All Breed Show in Deland, FL and followed it up with a Veteran Group 4. I was very proud of him. But I also saw that he's at that point where his skills as a show dog could be overshadowed by his age and increasing (to me anyway) physical deterioration. And today, he was a winner. So, what better time to stop.

Rowdy is now 11 years old (well, OK, on February 15) and he is in excellent health and is in outstanding physical shape. Last month, he took an Award Of Merit at the Gulfstream Rottweiler Specialty out of the Veterans Class. But, where he used to move with tremendous power out of his rear, he now cruises smoothly, effortlessly but without that great rear power. His topline is as spectacular now as when he was a kid. His muscle mass has declined. His attitude is still incredible. People come to watch him show and applaud him in the ring and then hug him out of the ring. But, soon, he'll migrate from being admired to being pitied and I can't let that happen. He deserves to leave the breed ring on his own terms and as a winner.

Here is the photo that I had the privilege of taking of Rowdy's AOM. I hope you enjoy it.

In his retirement, Rowdy expects to be working on his Rally Obedience titles and doing weekly Therapy visits to convalescent homes and the cancer ward of the Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children. And I expect to be even more proud of his achievements in those venues as I have been of all he's accomplished in the breed ring. It will be my pleasure to document those activities on this forum.

Jim & Rowdy

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz