Quote:

Thanks Geri. There are a lot of nice people on here and a great amount of talent so feel free to jump in any time. Are you photographing animals or just learning photography in general?

Barbra

Just trying to learn photography in general, and then will focus on pets, and some people portraits. That's down the road though, I've given myself the next year to learn, and will hopefully be taking some summer/fall photography classes this summer.

Can I offer one observation from myself? I originally started with a Canon 300D.......which is an older camera. I wanted to first get used to using all the different types of shooting methods, and get used to a camera that isn't just point and shoot, without having to be afraid of wrecking it because of the investment I was putting into it. I used that camera for about a year, and got some really great photos out of it. Probably not to the same caliber as the professionals on this forum, but none-the-less, some really nice pictures. I just recently moved up to my Nikon D700, and aside from the big bucks you'd have to shell out to buy it, I find that I'm right back in the learning process, just trying to learn it because the features are so different compared to the Canon. The one thing that I realized the most, is that with the Canon, I could get great pictures even though it was an old camera, it was just a little more work because the lighting had to be better controlled, and also having a good lens was really helpful as well. I have a whole other set of problems I'm trying to work through with my new camera, and can testify to the fact that right now a new camera won't be a complete fix to your problems. Don't completely disreguard your camera because someone who boasts about their $5,000 camera tells you to do so.

One other thing, post processing in Photoshop really was helpful once I started shooting in RAW.

Geri