Let me start this post with a minor rant: the prejudices about intact male dogs. I've been taking my guys to one of the dog parks here in Hunters Creek and that includes both Sundance and Rowdy, two intact males (sometimes together -- gasp). Folks are generally very uncomfortable when I bring one of those guys into the park -- until they start interacting with the other dogs. Rowdy courts the ladies and plays with the younger males. Sundance simply plays with everyone.

Last evening, we took Rowdy and Sundance together. I don't know how other breeds play, but Rottweilers love to stalk each other during a play session. It starts out with one of them catching the eye of the other and freezing them with a glance.

Then, the other dog locks into the stalk.

Slowly, they start to move toward each other.

Until they reach a point where they both freeze and stare -- the Faceoff.

After a few seconds, this stage is followed by the most blood-curdling move a Rottie can make: The Pounce!

And, finally, a discussion between the Victor (Rowdy) and the Vanquished (Sundance). Note how much bigger Sundance is than his Grandfather!

There were people outside of the park watching this tableau and when it was over, they just laughed and applauded. The boys went on to chase tennis balls and each other around the pavilion. Two intact males behaving in a very civilized manner. Oh, and they are Rotties. Even more amazing!

The Spay & Neuter extremists would have us believe that intact male and female dogs cannot interact with other dogs without aggression caused by those darned sex hormones. I don't believe that is any more true of dogs than of people. I do believe that dogs that are not being or going to be bred should be neutered or spayed. But dogs that can contribute to the next generation of their breed with physical and psychological soundness, should be allowed to do so. Sundance is Rowdy's grandson. He shares his temperament. Our breed needs more kids like that.

Hope you enjoyed the Battle!

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz