THE MYSTERIOUS STRIPED HORSES OF TOBACCO ROAD

I've just returned from an extended trip to North Carolina where I had the occasion to drive through God's Country and take a few photos just for the fun of it.

Since this is a NC story, I'll revert to my Southern-speak to tell the tale.

So....

Thirsty for some Carolina scenery I went driving out in the country. I was out in the middle of nowhere, the only sign of life were the delapidated tobacco barns that were falling in on themselves. As I drove past one field I saw something really strange out of the corner of my eye. A striped horse.

Well, I quickly put 2 and 2 together and figured out that this was obviously some Duke or Carolina fraternity prank. Can you imagine the farmer's reaction when he comes out to check on his horses?

The field was mostly eaten up, so I pulled up some grass from outside the fence and he came over for a bite.

These fraternity guys must be art majors, because this was one heck of a paint job.

Although he was obviously embarrased about all the stripes, that didn't stop him from striking up his Clydesdale pose when he saw the camera in my hands.

The other horses were obviously giving 'em a hard time. He tried every which way to try to get those dang stripes off.

Try as he may, they just wouldn't come off

Those fellows must have used Sharpies to paint these things on.

Nothing worked

You couldn't even chew them off

I was standing there taking pictures, and I was really starting to feel sorry for him. That's when Missy showed up.

The same guy must've done the paint job on her too because the whole design and style was almost exactly the same.

Well, at least he had company.

I'm just glad I had my camera with me, or people might think I was going crazy....seeing striped horses and all.

Shot with a Canon 5D Mark II, 70-200MM f4 L, and a 580EX II to try to combat the harsh sunlight.