Loueen,
first of all, welcome. Secondly, congrats on your Rescue work. I do the same for Rotties here in Florida and it's a whole different game when shooting for adoption as opposed to shooting regular "beauty shots".

The shots you included look very nice and I don't see any color issues: the white snow is, indeed, white on my monitor. However, an inexpensive monitor calibration tool plus software would be a good investment.

The only criticism I have is of the headshots which are cropped much too tightly for this particular application. I believe most potential adopters would want to see the earset on a head shot. Plus, if possible, I'd include a profile of the head. Here's what I'd call a classic head shot of a GSD that is owned by a friend. He just stopped by and asked me to take some shots of Zeus who is not a show dog and I took these in my front yard without flash.

As for how to get their attention, it's hard with dogs that have had little or no socialization. Food and toys don't work as well as with dogs that have been brought up from puppyhood playing with toys and getting baited with food. If you can have one of the members of the foster household help in terms of getting their attention, that would be a big help. Other than that, it's the basics: squeakies, toys which you toss and food. When I evaluate a Rottie for adoption, I always carry some Milk Bones and use them to see if the dog is food aggressive and/or passive toward food. If the dog responds to a Milk Bone during the evaluation, I then use it when I'm taking their photos.

Without external lighting and with a camera that does not have great high-ISO performance, you're pretty handicapped. However, most of the shots I take for Rescue are environmental and my regular flash unit works just fine for those. People want to see what the dog looks like and not just how great a photographer you are . Believe me, compared to most of the shots you see from Animal Control, ASPCA and other Rescue Groups, your images will be light years better.

If you have any specific questions, just ask. This is a pretty good group when it comes to sharing ideas and techniques. And continued good luck with GSD Rescue.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz