Hi Loueen
I'm new here, too, but I thought I might have some helpful information about pricing. My studio does 60% people and 40% pets. Mostly dogs.

I charge $150 for a studio dog session if there are multiple subjects (either multiple dogs or a dog and a person) $125 if it's just one subject. On location in a client's home or the nearby park, it's $175.

But session fees are often very market specific. I live in a large metropolitan area and I'm actually at the low end compared to my competition. Not sure what's customary in your area. My sessions usually last an hour and I show my clients about 40 proofs. If you show too many they get confused and can't make a decision!

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with shooting for free while your building your portfolio - but I think it's always a good idea to establish a print price and stick to it. I sometimes give away a session, but I NEVER give a print discount. I want my clients to have an established value in their minds when it comes to my prints.

sorry to ramble... I'm getting ready to co-teach a workshop so I have been running through my speeches and had this on the tip of my tongue.
Incidentally, my business started because of my work with rescue!

Teresa

Unleashed | fine are pet photography workshops
unleashed2009.wordpress.com