Hope this is okay to share- I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience.

I'm a hardcore animal person, especially cats. Those who remember my pictures may remember cats are my favorite subjects.

So, for the last year I've been volunteering at a local private shelter. It has always been a little crowded, not enough money, but I really wanted to do what I could to help. I did a lot of photography for them on a volunteer basis as well. However, as the year progressed, the conditions at the shelter got worse and worse. Disease is untreated; the mortality rate is pretty high. The smallest kittens (so small they can't bathe or groom themselves) are not properly cared for.

After a lot of soul searching, I decided to report the situation to the local authority, which is animal control. And I took an extra step and reported to to PETA as well.

I am really diappointed that animal control has done nothing! They did a cursory "check" and said everythings fine. All because they are friends with the woman who runs the shelter and even send kittens for her to bottle feed. So they won't step into a bad situation.

PETA says they are concerned, but can't do much else since animal control claims all is well.

I've been having a rough time with this. Anybody else ever run into this corrupt system? People just have their own agendas (I think this is really a hoarding case) and the animals suffer for them.

Tori Gregory
Stillwater, OK