I made my pilgrimage to the Sacramento National Wildlife Refuge complex in the central valley of California last week. The refuge includes five sites in the valley and located directly on the Pacific Flyway. There are almost 5 million birds there at peak winter season, of which about 1+ million are Snow Geese and 2+ million are ducks of various species. It is truly a spectacular experience to see the geese when they fill the sky with their wings and the sound of thousands of geese honking is incredible. I try to take in the whole day from predawn to nightfall when I am there. The main site of the refuge is located here
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Willows,+CA&sll=39.303219,-120.390015&sspn=0.015243,0.022917&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Willows,+Glenn,+California&ll=39.429597,-122.172389&spn=0.03043,0.062099&t=h&z=15

Here are some of the results of a typical day of shooting at the refuge

Starting at sunrise

Whiite Pelicans are frequent visitors

As are Peregring falcons

Hawks of all flavors

Northern Harrier

White-faced Ibis

But the main attraction is really the water fowl like the clouds of Snow Geese

That do spend alot of their time on the ground

Lots of Shoveler ducks

And though not a plentiful as in the midwest, there are alot of Sand Hill Cranes that pass through

As well as Tundra Swan

And not all the residents are avian

And as the sun sets, the sky is filled with formations of birds likt the Whie-faced Ibis

And the multiple V formations of geese

And the day finally goes out in a blaze of glory