"Seeing" in and of itself is an artform. Appreciation, love, and emotion, are key in seeing. Patience and the ability to walk your scene can help quite a bit as well....even in the most iconic spots.

Waiting also for new weather related phenomena also helps (as was the goal of the OP looking to add snow to his compositions). I have started to look for new concepts like taking pictures at night for stars in my shots.

As your eyes open to a place, often minor tewaks can give big results. Especially with wide angle lenses...moving a foot over can totally change perspective. I often use branches of trees to frame subjects like this.

Or use wide zooms but up close instead of far back....like for this very over shot falls.

I think when many people arrive to an iconic location, they get so excited about where they are...and the natural beauty the they (and everyone else) sees when they first get there, they kinda loose their head.

I always stop....thank god...or the universe....or whatever you think is responsable for creating such beauty, and ask to be guided to new perspectives...then I start hunting. Some of my best shots are due to me lying on the ground looking up into a shot, or climbing safely up on somthing (not somwhere posted for no trasspassing..lets be safe...as well as respectful...as you all are I am sure!) But when in an iconic location...remember to try to change the view from human eye level.

But as others have posted here...there is nothing wrong with getting your copy of an iconic shot either.

I am rambling on here...lol....so will return the floor to all of you.

Roman