I am planning another studio setup. In the past, I purchased lights from ebay, an old photogenic set. This time, I would like to get a more convenient setup (not a central powerpack with all the cords).

I know many of us on NWP use Alien Bees. I will be using an average to small studio, approx. 12 ft wide by up to 20 ft long. I will photographing pets. On some occasions, I do on-location pet photography.

I am thinking two B800 Alien Bees for main and fill or two front lights at 45 degrees each, one B400 for background and my Nikon SB600 for hair light, when needed. In the past, I used 45-60 inch umbrellas, either white or silver.

Do you agree two B800's are good for the front lights and the B400 is good for background? Would you do umbrellas or giant softbox for the studio?

Background will range from all white to all black to dark tones (browns, dark reds, blues). No background light for black (hair light will provide separation between dog and background), maybe do not have enough light with the B400 for a white background.

I appreciate all thoughts.