Penny:

I assume you'll be flying in to Phoenix and renting a car for the drive to Camp Verde? If so, you may still be able to catch some desert wildflowers in bloom on the trip up. As of the last couple of days, the area around Bartlett Lake (just north of Phoenix) was reporting excellent displays.

Montezuma's Castle & nearby Montezuma's Well are just a stone's throw from Camp Verde and worth a couple of hours visit in my book. It is cooler in the morning, but you really should visit in mid to late afternoon. Otherwise, the cliff dwellings are completely covered in shade. Both are close to the freeway and impossible to miss on the way to/from Sedona.

As with most locations, sunrise and sunset are the best times to shoot in Sedona, and most of the iconic images take on a completely different persona depending on when you shoot them. You could pay a late afternoon visit to Montezuma's Castle and still get to Sedona in plenty of time for sunset shooting.

The Pink Jeep Tours in Sedona are famous - albeit a little pricey - but don't offer a lot of opportunity to get out and shoot. I'm sure with a little internet research you could come up with a dedicated photo tour. To be honest, though, you can find plenty of great places to shoot just driving around in your car & pulling off to the side of the road.

Just don't forget to buy a parking pass. Yes, they charge you for parking along side of the road to take pictures. Ostensibly it is to limit the environmental impact . . . BTW, if you have an NPS Golden Eagle/Golden Access Pass, you can leave it visible on the dash & they will honor it. Just be sure to shade it so it doesn't melt.

Oak Creek Canyon from Sedona to Flagstaff is also famous as a scenic drive, but I would not waste my time. Wrong time of year and the Bark Beetles have decimated the forest.

Finally, if you have time, the old mining town of Jerome and Tuzigoot NM are also great places to shoot & less than 1/2 hour's drive from Camp Verde.

If you have a polarizing filter and/or ND filter, don't for get to bring it. The mid-day sun here is hard on exposures.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip! Two days is awfully short.

Jim