Nina,

Quote:

I'm in my own little niche around here ... portrait photogs cant shoot moving dogs, agility photogs cant do studio quality portraits and show photographers can shoot agility ... because I can (and am equipped) for all 3 I do what I do

Yes, but that gets into the assistants: if you have the individual skills to do all three, that's great. I've done it as well and it is a rare skill among show photographers. But finding assistants to handle any one of those photographic areas is difficult enough. To find those that are capable of shooting two or three is almost impossible. So you get to the point where, as an individual, you have to focus on what you do best/can make the most $$$ doing.

I love shooting performance events but I don't see the payback in $$ for the time invested here in the Florida area. Lots of trials and folks don't really spend a lot. Plus, there's some pretty decent competition. On the portrait side, I find I can make more outside of the show circuit here in the studio or at the homes of dog owners. So I've focused on Show Formals at dog shows despite very tough competition in this market. Large Regional Specialties and Nationals are my best market and I'm willing to travel all over the country which helps.

It's interesting to hear how things are done at the total opposite end of the country from us. You folks on the left coast are always doing things a bit differently .

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz