Winder?!!! My old Nikon F2 had the thumb advance lever, single throw. Back in the 80's, my Leica M3 was a double-throw thumb advance lever. I actually liked that better than the single throws. Go figure!

And most of the film cameras came with a standard 50 mm lens which actually taught you how to frame and move and focus to get the shots you wanted. Zooms were rare or simply not available. The advantage of single focal-length lenses is that you have to think about the scene you're shooting and match what you're trying to do with the right lens. With zooms, you can frame without having to move. I like the ease of zooms but I love the creativity required to use primes well.

When I think about how we shot weddings back "in the old days" I marvel at what it took both physically and creatively. We had at least 2 cameras with lenses, 50 to 100 rolls of film, big "potato-masher" flash units wired to big, heavy batteries attached to our belts and we shot all day and most of the night. And then we sweated for 2 weeks until the proofs came in. Talk about stress!

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz