Definitely shoot the FEI level riders. Most will enable you to get very correct artsy photos. Eventing dressage is a whole other world. Riding one of those horses is like riding a stick of dynamite.

The dressage only horses, especially at 4th level and above will generally be big, muscular, powerful moving horses. The piaffe and passage can be made into beautiful fine art prints. There isn't much more beautiful than a horse going well at FEI. It takes my breath away.

If you are shooting for yourself, I think doing so in a manner that pleases you (and will please 99% of the population that doesn't ride!) is fine. If you are shooting to sell, than you aim for what riders want. They want to see their horse at the perfect point in stride( driving from behind with the front at max extension) or at the apex of the jump.

A 3/4 view of a jump will give the best effect and even more so in portrait orientation. Watch your backgrounds and try to get ears and feet in. Sometimes you can work around it, but that is the goal.

Riders want to see themselves as riding well. I would tend to think that dressage sales would be lower than hunter/jumpers. You have to get almost the perfect shot for a DQ(dressage queen) to want to purchase it. All the H/J people want is good photos of their kids. As a buyer, I bought up 6 photos and I had one child in one class. I even purchased a picture of my son being led on a friends horse.

I have a two day horse show to do this weekend and I am sweating bullets. I hope I can physically hold up to 12+ hours straight for 2 days. It will be a challenge at least. Losing 10lbs wouldn't hurt me