Diane,
I think the final image is very nice. You can do a lot of "fixing" in post-processing but the objective is to minimize the amount you HAVE to do. Which means bringing enough stuff with you to build a backdrop on location.

With pets, we have always found that going to the owners' homes works out better than bringing the pets into our studio. The exception being -- for us -- if the pets are puppies we've bred because when we have litters, we set up the whelping box in the studio and that's where they spend the first 8 weeks of their lives.

Because I shoot dog shows, my setup has been put together for maximum portability. Whether I'm setting it up at a Fairgrounds or in someone's living room, it really doesn't matter. A light-weight backdrop stand, a 12-foot pole and lots of muslin backdrops along with 2 AB 400's and I'm good whether it's here in the studio or anywhere else in the country. So, like Penny and James, I suggest you invest the in the backdrop stand and find a couple of basic backdrops. Over time, you can just shop the fabric bins at Michaels or JoAnne's to find stuff that works equally well.

As I said, having studio space is fine but for pets, going on location is usually better in my experience. Lots depends on how well-trained the pets are but generally-speaking, they will be more comfortable in their own environment.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz