Jim,
yes, I agree, but compared to adding space to a home -- maybe not all that bad an alternative. At least you can pay as you go . I'm not sure what the right answer is at this point but I will have a studio and I will be on the road. The question is how much of each. Right now my inclination is to bring it with me wherever the action or portraits are. It's a small inconvenience compared to promoting and bringing people to a studio location. Especially if I decide the right answer is to be at shows doing ring candids and portraits. In MHO, the best people to do portraits of show dogs are the folks who know how they should be set up for ring formals. You can attest to the difficulty of shooting specific breeds if you don't know how they "should" be set up for ring formals. The best headshots I've ever gotten is of dogs as they were showing in the ring. That's what the judges see.

I have a feeling what the right answer is. I just need to implement it along with shows. The key is being able to travel and keep the family together. 4 dogs is a lot easier than what we've had to manage in the past. Plus, Moxie is showing and Sundance is doing Performance stuff. As long as we don't breed another litter in the short term, I can afford to be on the road. Of course, Max (the Rowdy son) would like to make some puppies now that he's a Champion (CHIC with full clearances, Hips Excellent) and that's on the agenda for the Spring with Moxie's mom, Juneau. So, road trips look like they are limited to the early part of 2011 . I'll let you know what we decide in terms of studio space.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz