I love doing outdoor portraits and I've used the strobes as primary lighting in addition to doing available light. The problem with that in Orlando is that our average Summer temps are in the 90's and dogs really don't look great with their tongues hanging down to the ground. But if you can find a great location on a decent day, it's gold!

I agree with everything else that Julie says especially the requirement to be prepared for everything. That's why I bring my studio-in-a-van to all location shoots. I may not use any of it or just some of it but it's there if I need it. And it doesn't require a lot of schlepping to get it there.

As for the dogs, I guess I've been really lucky. I've not found one that was impossible to photograph. Some bait better than others and some are more photogenic than others but I shoot mainly show dogs and they are used to being posed and baited. Regular family dogs are harder but -- knock on wood -- I've never met one that was mean. Some that were shy but we worked it out. Some that preferred to be sitting in my lap licking my face but we also worked that out . Like shooting shows, it's all about getting the shot. You have to continually create situations in your mind that will give the dog a chance to show his/her personality. The technical stuff -- camera, lens, backdrops, lighting, etc. -- has to be almost automatic. You need to put yourself in a position to concentrate on the subject and get the shot(s).

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz