I have a Drobo, and I know several people who have them and no problems as of yet.

I am not saying there are not nightmares out there, but as a technician I know for a fact there are ZERO companies out there manufacturing hardware with ZERO defects. NONE. Even the hard drives I prefer are susceptible to imperfect manufacturing processes.

I also know that managing your own RAID can get a bit tricky.

Let me ask, what is your true goal?

Data backup?

Protection from hard drive failure?

Some other goal not presented here?

The two above have overlap, but are not the same. Keep that in mind. There is no perfect protection out there, just reductions in risk when it comes to data management.

If you get a data array (whether it be Drobo, or your own custom unit) You will still need off site storage for proper protection. If you have a fire, a power spike, or a fire, or some other disaster that kills all your drives or the Unit itself, your hosed.

Just keep that all in mind as your choosing your hardware setup.

I trust my DROBO. I have had zero problems from it. I am realistic and realize it COULD have problems in the future like ALL hardware can.

Follow your instincts and get whatever you feel comfortable with. If your not very techie, I would go with the DROBO or similar with easy interface.

If you want to dive into it a bit more, Jim's proposal will work as well.

Roman