Quote:

You are pretty lucky that he was willing to sit through this. You are even more lucky that he landed so close. Owls are reputedly very hard to photograph. Sadly, I have never seen one in the natural environment. Of course, it is not that odd as I live in Manhattan.

-JM

I have ALWAYS had a good relationship with animals. I have had elk and deer walk up to me, Humming birds for some reason like me. I remember a rather unnerving encounter with a porcupine while doing what comes naturally in the woods ...I have pictures of birds landing on my hands (taken by my wife with our canon P&S.) Even at the Sonoran Desert Museum (outside Tucson)The keeper was befudled when he caught me poking my finger through the cage and scratching the head of one of their raptors (I think it was a Coopers Hawk) I try not to be stupid about it...wouldnt go up and embrace a bear...lol...but in a natural setting...if an animal comes up to me...and I dont sense any ill intent...I interact as much as they will allow. During my stint of house inspecting (13 years) I never got bit by anyting (to the befuddlement of my co-inspectors)...till I gave them a tip....dont kill anything...I catch and release everything I can if I catch it in the house (my wife now knows to call me instead of squashing things) They can sense if you would squash them...and will often take defensive posture....even if you dont see them....which would explain that in living and exploring the Tucosn area for 3 years I did not see one scorpion and never ran into any venemous snakes. The ones that followed that advice reduced if not eliminated their "negitive encounters" with things that bite.

Sorry for rambling on...but being nature photographers....we have to remember that most animals read our (for lack of a better word) energy patterns...lots of people call these "instincts"....and will react or even show themselves accordingly.

Just my .02

Roman