Top of the Day James,

Assuming that your TomTom is similar to most auto Garmin GPS and will run on battery, turn your TomTom on, throw it into your pocket or camera bag, and go into the woods taking photos. Your TomTom should be tracking your every turn as you walk and recording this information into a file in memory that can be downloaded to your computer and used for such goodies as geotagging the photos you took on the hike. If you come to a point on the hike that you may want to return to later, set a waypoint for that location that will be stored in GPS memory.

Plug your TomTom back into its car charger and drive to your next hike. If you take photos while driving and the TomTom is on, there will be downloadable "tracking" information for those photos too.

Battery life on my Garmin 265wt is about 4 hours. Wish I could turn the screen off.

If you use Windows PC, take a look a freeware GeoSetter for geotagging photos. There is geotagging software for Macs also but I have no experience with any of it. GeoSetter will generate the files needed to view your 'track' and corresponding photo thumbnails on Google Earth which is kind of cool.

Cheers!

Warren