The monthly challenge finally forced me to visit my old stomping grounds and one of my favorite places, the Shingle Creek Trail. Shingle Creek and its surrounding wetlands are part of the estuary system that forms the headwaters to the Everglades. With the recent last-afternoon thunder storms we've having, the Creek is high and the wetlands are flowing with water and teaming with life.

As I started my walk, I noticed evidence of a recent fishing effort along the Creek. While there is no water actually in this image, the presence of water is clearly implied.

Farther along the trail, I spotted a couple of Ibis feeding on the far side of the stream.

And then I heard some rustling behind me and turned to spot a Tri-colored Heron walking through the underbrush.

When I arrived at one of the bridges, I noticed a Great White Heron sitting on one of the Cypress trees, a Sentinel over the stream.

As I was shooting The Sentinel, I heard a loud slither/splash from just behind and to the right of me. I never saw what caused it but you can bet it got my attention smile. On my way back to the car, I spotted one more wading bird, a Little Blue Heron.

One hour of my time walking my favorite trail and so many opportunities for wildlife photos! I've missed my special place. It was great to be back there.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz