I've been wanting to join in on this for a bit, but I'm torn in the middle. I also think this goes beyond just PS techniques.

I used to run sound and video for some decently known bands on tour. Working with a lot of artists, and sorta being one myself (I like to think of the sound board as an instrument, and video directing is like painting), I agree with the pro members on this board wanting to guard certain skills that can mean the difference of their work being sold or not. Especially as the cameras keep getting better, and in some cases the learning curve diminishes.

On the other side, here is my experience on these forums. When I first bought my digital camera, and found this forum shortly after, I was looking for a friendly environment where I could learn from others, and share. And while I was in the beginning stages, that is what happened. I'd post some of the better pics I could take at the time (my Yellowstone pics are some of the first out of this camera and my quest to be better), get responses back, get small tips, and all was well.

It seems like there is a point though, that once you cross out of the "newbie" territory, and into the better side of amateur, all of that stopped. I could flood the critique forum and force the comments, but that is kind of a dick move, unless the section as a whole gets used more. I am at the point right now where I know what I need to do in the field, I mostly know what needs done in PS (just not how to do it), and I know I need to give everything a lot more time than I have. Its frustrating though, cause the comments have transitioned from helpful, to "Nice shots, I like #76" Shoot. When I posted the few pics of going to my grandpa's ranch for the first time after he died, and tried taking my first pano shot, that thread didn't even get one comment. But if someone new to the forums posts the same type of shot, they seem to not be viewed as a potential business threat? Aren't the people that go into stock the people at this middle point? Either they can't compete photo wise, or business wise, or both? I thought stock was a bigger threat than the people who know what they're doing, because by that time people have they're trademark look.

I don't want Roman or Jim's trademark look. I love Roman's shots, they make Oregon proud, but there is one small element to them which I don't agree to that drastically changes my own approach. I am never going to do pet photography other than my own animals, but I have used some of the knowledge gleaned from the pet forums (especially action shots) for the hockey side of photography that I do, which I've only shared once with people here since its not really N/W/P.

I take photos because I just want to capture some way of keeping the visual memories I have of being in a wonderful and natural place, especially of Oregon before I move overseas in a couple years. I love it so much here, and this is one of the only things that will get me through living somewhere else, to have these shots of home. And I want those shots to really show off what I love about Oregon. That's what made not getting any comments on the ranch thread really disheartening cause my mom hasn't been able to go there, it brings up too much bad stuff (he went missing off the Oregon coast a few years ago), but I know she'd love pictures of the place and I really wanted to go back armed with some knowledge to get shots that will make her proud, reminder her of her child home and the place her dad loved the most in this state. That is my entire motivation as a photographer. Even if I do reach the point in my skills as a photographer, I still have no skills as a businessmen to sell them, or the motivation.

As with FretlessD and grooming, when it came to sound, I did a number of conferences here in town teaching advanced EQ and Mic placement techniques, Music Theory from a sound-man's point of view, system building for churches, and more. Never once did I say "my secret to getting the perfect kick drum sound is boost 83Hz by about 4db depending on how hard the drummer is playing, and always, always take out 315-360Hz otherwise you the low rumble bleeds over into the mix where the bass guitar is, and it's not a bad idea to give a bit extra in the 3k Hz range for some extra attack when the head hits the drum.... but I did teach em everything they needed to know to discover it on their own, or to develop their own sound.

<sigh> I'll leave it there for now...it took me an hour to write this and I'm already late to where I have to be. I have a tiny bit more to add, I think opening things up for everyone else to comment for a bit is a better idea.