I was setting up my strobes for some updated puppy formals and happened to go out back to bring in the dogs. Spotted a new vine of Hybiscus growing along the fence and the ruby red color really caught my eye. But it was a bit windy so I decided to snip a blossom, bring it into my "studio" which is currently doubling as the whelping room and see what I could get.

I set the Hybiscus on a table with a black backdrop coming down the wall and across the platform. Then I set up my PLM above and slightly behind the flower and a second strobe set up in front but bounced off of the white ceiling. Mounted first my 85 F1.8 and a 20mm extension tube for some close-ups and then changed to the 200 F2.8L with all three extension tubes for some really close views. I was very happy with the results so I thought I'd share a few images.

First up is a shot with the 85/20 mm extension tube but trying to create an image with context.

Next, a closer view with the 200L and 12 mm, 20 mm and 36 mm extension tubes.

And finally, a shot with the 85/20 combination which looks to me to be almost celestial.

I love macro photography and I really love it when you can control all the elements including the lighting. Hope you enjoy the images as much as I enjoyed creating them.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz