Originally Posted By: Diane
I gave permission to a local environmental organization to use one of my images to promote their Owl Prowl event that is coming up this month. Fine. I've allowed them to use my images in the past, and I support their organization and efforts. But, I was notified by a friend of mine that Groupon is now using the image. WHAT!!!

Groupon Seatuck Promotion

I contacted the director of Seatuck, and he was sincerely apologetic. I believe him. He told me that a staff member used the image without his full knowledge. He sounded truly, sincerely apologetic and embarrassed. He's an attorney, after all, and he knows better. He offered to pay me for the image whatever I feel it's reasonably worth. And, he said he isn't going to haggle. Although that sounds like a "blank check", I certainly am not interested in gouging him. I have always trusted him in the past. So, do any of you have any ideas what I should charge him? I'm thinking maybe $200 or $300 dollars. Is that too much? Not enough? I just don't know.

And, thanks to this forum, I also found this image being used now by a site, www.yumdeal.com . The image, I am afraid, is out there. I'm really pissed.

Is the image registered with the US Copyright office?