Nicole,
Like Jim, I have not seen events like that worth the time and effort. That being, I have a few questions. Have you ever done a shoot like this before? Are you going to have someone assisting you? (You'll need it. Keeping the paperwork straight and helping get the subjects set and away and answering any questions takes on or two people.) If so, do you provide the help or do they? If you do, how much will that cost you?

Are they advertising the event? How long is the Halloween shoot? Are you supplying the background and props? If so, how much is that going to set you back? If they are, is it going to put your photographic images in the best light(metaphorically speaking)?

Are you not getting any portion of the proceeds from the prints? What are the charging for the photos? Single images or packages. Are you printing on site? Are they using your lab or are you printing. If they are using a lab of their choice, do they meet your standards?

Bringing in a photographer for seasonal pictures is a loss leader promotion used to bring in traffic for the store. They should be making little to nothing as it is an advertising expense.

It all sounds as if they have hired you as contract labor with a store credit that cost them 50% to 70% of your salary. They're not even dipping into their petty cash!

I once was a Santa for pet Christmas pictures for a non-profit fundraiser. We had 70 stressed out dog and cat subjects and their owners run through in 3 hours! I will never do that again as long as I live!!!

Now, if you want to make this work for a Christmas shoot, consider this. Can you give them your answer after the Halloween shoot? It will give both parties the opportunity to evaluate the success of the first event and give you the perspective you need to negotiate a new deal if needed to make it worth your while.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but it's your name and reputation on the line. I know you're excited about getting your name "out there", but at what cost.

Doug

Last edited by FretlessD; 10/12/11 11:11 PM.

FOR THE LOVE OF DOG!!!