I've discussed how difficult it is to pick what a puppy is going to grow up to be yet that's exactly what breeders try to do with each litter. Here's a photo that shows Rowdy at 12 weeks of age when he arrived by plane from North Carolina and one of him at 10 years of age. Who woulda thunk that that scrawny, light-eyed puppy would grow up to be A/C/UCI Int'l CH Loral's Der Terminator CGC, TT, HIC, TDI/Delta Certified Therapy Dog?

I'd also like to point out that several "friends" and "experts" looked at Rowdy at 12 weeks of age and basically said "that's a terrible puppy. Send him back to the breeder." When Rowdy arrived on that plane, he came out of his crate and onto my shoulder and we both knew he'd never leave. His "transformation" was God's work; not ours. All we provided was a good home with tons of love. As he matured, we realized that Rowdy had a very special gift -- not in terms of looks or unique athletic ability but in terms of his temperament. He was truly bullet-proof. So we started his Therapy Dog work: we structured a school-education program in cooperation with our friend Dr. Jane Leon where we'd teach children how to deal with large, potentially dangerous dogs in a playground or public environment. And, of course, we also taught them that not all large black & tan dogs are dangerous despite what the image the media has created. Here's a photo of Rowdy doing one of his "Doggie Education" visits in 2001. He loved the children and they, obviously, loved him.

He also provided love in children's cancer wards at the Arnold Palmer Hospital here in Orlando and with special-needs children -- MS, MD, Autistic. His skill was an almost magical empathy -- an ability to understand who needed him most and give them the emotional support they needed. Those types of skills are certainly more than skin deep and vastly more important than how handsome a dog is. And it takes a lot longer than 8 weeks to discover those talents. Here's hoping whichever boy we decide to keep can follow Rowdy's footsteps in Therapy.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz