Critique. Sorry I missed your post. I usually get right on the Landscape posts. So my apologies for missing this. Usually I only critique one shot (Per the request and rules of this forum) but as my penance I will do both. smile

#1. I like that you tried to capture the curve of the water in the foreground. Unfortunately the curves do not work to create balance and counterbalance so the eye really does not have anything to lead it to the background area. The checks and balances are just not doing the shot justice.

All the elements are nice, just not part of the “Story” of the shot. Little elements like the piece of rock on the lower left hand corner also provide minor distractions. I would also suggest a polarizer. This would have given some color to the sky, and killed the reflection in the water providing a stronger path way through the falls. You don’t have to use a polarizer in all your shots like if you went forward and captured the larger (calmer) pool and wanted the fall reflections to really stand out, but here, the reflections seem to detract more than help.

#2. Again, a polarizer would have wrangled the dynamic range a bit giving you more foreground details to actually lead the viewer through the shot. The sky is also very nice, but very understated. This shot has a better compositional balance, and a lot more potential. A bit of post processing will easily bring out the most on this shot.
Your watermark is a bit large as well, I would make it smaller. It is nice though that it looks like a layer with the opacity reduced.

A very nice exercise to get you into seeing your compositions is to bring a pad and pencil out with you and sketch the basic elements of the compositions. Reduce everything to it’s simple common denominator. On the bottom picture you have a Rectangle + trapezoid for the sky. A triangle on the right bank, and a curved wide triangle for the river…and a minor circle on the left for the bank and tree.
Do the same for the elements in the upper photo and you will see how it is busier but not cohesive.

If you bring a small sketch pad out with you, and get yourself a polarizer I think that would put you on the path to creating stronger images.

Nice work, look forward to seeing more.

Roman