Interesting stuff, all. Thanks!!! I ran the calculator, and this was the result based on my input:

Usage Details

Usage Type: Electronic Media
Usage Details: CD/DVD Multimedia Books
Duration: Up To 1 Year
Size On Screen: Up To 1/2 Screen
Quantity: Up To 100 Units
Region of Use: Worldwide

Calculator Price : US$183.48

This is the base figure generated by our calculator for single non-exclusive use. Photographers should make an adjustment for any additional rights that might be required. Some photographers may wish to make further adjustments for the quality and uniqueness of the image.

That seems really closer to what this guy wants. Fact is, I don't really know yet what he wants, so I'm making assumptions. I don't know whether it will be used for 1 year or 5 years. I don't know if he plans to sell 100 or 500 copies. I'm assuming, given that he said that he was looking to sell the book on Amazon, that it would be published worldwide. What I do know now, is what kind of questions to ask.

As for editorial use, I guess that's what this is. But, given that he's a photographer who is looking to sell a book about bird photography, his bird photography, but doesn't have any owl shots, I think his request goes beyond simply editorial. Maybe not quite commercial. Also, as a photographer, he should know better than to think that giving me credits is enough payment. I work for the National Park Service, and the old school expression is that rangers (which I am not) "get paid in sunsets." Well, you can starve to death on sunsets, for crissakes. Same principle applies.

I'm not stingy with my images. I have given lots of them away. I have granted free use to environmental groups, to the Pine Barrens Commission, to Seatuck Environmental Association, etc., for their exhibits and publications. These people are not looking to make money off my images. And, I'm happy to support their causes. I feel honored that they ask me for some images. And, I am always very explicit about making sure I get proper credits.

Again, thanks so much for your help. I have bookmarked the calculator sites. Even if the prices aren't perfect, they at least lead you to asking the right questions. And, that's a lot. smile