Utah is a world of its own; full of parks, canyons, back roads and above all a rich history. Storm clouds over Bear Lake on this particular trip were impressive but I raced on by always looking forward to the run through Logan Canyon. Autumn was kind of bare so this trip I didn’t spend much time and headed over to look at Golden Spike and search the marshes for birds. The birds were great and I hit pay dirt with a backlit red tail and a very nice ferruginous hawk but I had the feeling I was on the downhill side of a magnificent run up and over the greatest mountain ever so my trip was nearing an end. I made a couple runs up the canyons around Salt Lake City. But my heart wasn’t in it so I headed for Bryce in hopes of stealing a lucky sunrise on my journey home. I’m always a sucker for this part of the country so I did the loop thru Cedar Breaks and Zion and the headed on down to the North Rim and my Arizona home.

A night at the North Rim, then a night at the South Rim and it seemed suiting that the campground was overrun with a herd of elk. More critters.

When I finally got home my post card guy needed new images of the Superstition Mountains. I hadn’t even unpacked and I need to head out of Phoenix for the mountains. After where I’d been and what I’d seen it seemed rather anti-climatic to head out for Desert Mountains. But what the heck, maybe my luck would hold out and I’d find some more birds and get lucky with the evening light.

The Harris Hawk was a real treat, but the image from the Superstitions that evening was special. From a new vantage point I got my welcome home. Maybe it was the desert trying to tell me there’s no place like home. Or maybe it was just the dessert after the best photographic meal I could have imagined. It was a special image. I think maybe I should keep doing this.